PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for door chime thingy

Scott Shepherd
07-10-2012, 10:13 AM
We have a front lobby area at work, then some offices, then the shop area. I really do not like it when people have to come walking through the place to find someone, because we're all working. I've seen many of those little IR sensor things that ring a chime when someone walks in, and that would be fine if someone was in one of the offices, but when we're all back in the shop, we wouldn't hear it.

What would be great would be a strobe light or a flashing light for the back, while keeping the chime for the front area.

Anyone got any reasonably priced solutions for those type products? Or are we just stuck with the chime in the office? Sometimes I'm running the CNC router in the back, but I don't want to have to lock the place down in case someone comes in.

Any ideas? Suggestions?

Myk Rian
07-10-2012, 10:18 AM
Klaxon horn?
:eek:

Paul Brinkmeyer
07-10-2012, 10:55 AM
I have been using MrChime for years, Small wireless unit above or beside the door, I use one on front door and one on the back door, 2 different chimes so I know when it is a delivery verses a customer, and I have a receiver/bell in 2 different locations. You can easily move the chime to a different area or add lights and other componets as needed
Such a simple solution that it works. just add a dot com to the name and you are there.

David G Baker
07-10-2012, 11:00 AM
I have a driveway wireless alarm that alerts me when someone enters my drive way. I had to put it on a timer because deer would walk past it in the middle of the night and wake us up. Some times it works too good, birds will set it off if they fly in the sensors path but this happens rarely.

Belinda Barfield
07-10-2012, 3:17 PM
Thanks for asking Steve, I'm in much the same situation lately.

Paul, thanks for the site info . . . perfect.

Larry Edgerton
07-11-2012, 6:55 AM
At my old shop I had a sensor at the entry hall that set off an old stoplight in the shop that would start going through the cycle, red/yellow/green. The changes in color shade lightly alerted me that someone was in the shop without scaring me.

I'm kind of jumpy and could not have an alarm.

Larry

Von Bickley
07-11-2012, 7:58 AM
You can get a simple motion detection switch from Lowes that will fit in a single gang electrical box that will turn on lights or other electrical items.