PDA

View Full Version : Golden back-light

Yuriy Karpov
07-09-2012, 10:57 PM
G'day everyone,

One of my customer wants a quite complicated picture to convert into the light box. The special requirement is that the engraving should have golden back-light. I thought of using reverse engravables but I'm not quite sure about paint to be translucent enough to produce bright golden light from LEDs plus frosted top coat may create a fussy look when painted.. I've read somewhere on the forum that Rowmark FlexiBrass is translucent when engraved. Can somebody prove it(the picture of it will be great)? Any advice will be appreciated.

Rodne Gold
07-10-2012, 2:25 AM
You really need to have the graphic digitally printed on a backlit vinyl material for the best effect .However , If you want to do it on a laser , use the reversible laminate and use a yellow or whatever colour translucent vinyl or acetate at the back to make the white led light "golden" You could also use an opal acrylic with an acetate behind for the "golden" back ground and then cut the black bits out of something like ABS and stick em on the opal "golden" sheet (probably a huge mission)

Joe Pelonio
07-10-2012, 7:55 AM
Yes, Rodney is right. Just think of it as s smaller version of a storefront backlit sign, where one common method is a light color translucent vinyl on the back, and darker opaque letters on the front of clear acrylic or lexan.

Mike Null
07-10-2012, 9:25 AM
Take a look at the recent thread on lithophanes as that may provide a solution.

Yuriy Karpov
07-10-2012, 5:32 PM
Cutting the thing out and trying to re-stick to another sheet will cost a half of my life.
I'll try translucent vinyl.

Thanks everyone.