PDA

View Full Version : 18V Festool Drill Stalling

Brad Shipton
07-09-2012, 6:07 PM
Has anyone else had any problems with their Festool Drill? I was putting in some 5/16" lags and now it stalls (admittedly bigger than I should have with it). I figure it is something I did, so I doubt it will be covered by warranty. I am curious how bad the $damage will be. It was kind of annoying putting in screws and lags with an electric drill yesterday while my $600 toy sat in its case.

Thanks

Peter Kuhlman
07-09-2012, 7:06 PM
Did you have the clutch dialed up? It has internal protection so that you can't hurt the drill and it will beep and stall if you are asking for more torque than it can deliver.

Brad Shipton
07-09-2012, 7:53 PM
Yes, I had the clutch dialed up. Now if I pull the trigger a few times it sometimes runs, but most of the time it just drives me nuts waiting.

Mike Henderson
07-09-2012, 8:15 PM
Seems to me that you should not be able to damage a Festool drill that easily. My understanding is that they have protection mechanisms on the drill to keep it from getting dangerously overloaded. I'd definitely contact Festool and ask them to check it out. If it's within the warranty period, I'd think they'd fix it as a warranty repair.

Mike

Keith Hankins
07-09-2012, 10:53 PM
It's the battery. I have that same drill. Remove the battery let it set for a few minutes and put the other battery in. See if it doesn't fix it. I've had that happen to me on a couple times. I replace the battery and it gets happy again. If that does not do it call festool They well get it working.

Brad Shipton
07-10-2012, 12:56 PM
Thanks. I was surprised by this. I have been very impressed with it until this. The little 12v version is so handy too.

Shane Holland
07-10-2012, 8:02 PM
Brad,

Sorry I just saw this thread. Please contact our service department or send me an email with your contact details and a good time to call and I'll have someone contact you. We will get this fixed for you. My apologies for the trouble with your drill. It should be the first year of warranty, so we'll pay shipping both ways and the typical turn around for repairs is 24-48 hours from the time we receive the tool until it ships back out.

Thanks,
Shane Holland
Festool USA (and Canada too)
sho@festoolusa.com
765-894-2172 (c)

johnny means
07-10-2012, 11:40 PM
Two words, impact driver. Even the cheapest one is better suited for jobs like that.

Festool, we're waiting!

Shane Holland
07-10-2012, 11:42 PM
Johnny, there's already a Festool impact, the TI 15. It has been available in Europe for a while and we'll be getting it here soon.

johnny means
07-10-2012, 11:56 PM
Yeah, I know, but Festool has a bad habit of dragging these things out. Lots of goodies we can't get here.

howard s hanger
07-11-2012, 9:41 PM
Brad,

Sorry I just saw this thread. Please contact our service department or send me an email with your contact details and a good time to call and I'll have someone contact you. We will get this fixed for you. My apologies for the trouble with your drill. It should be the first year of warranty, so we'll pay shipping both ways and the typical turn around for repairs is 24-48 hours from the time we receive the tool until it ships back out.

Thanks,
Shane Holland
Festool USA (and Canada too)
sho@festoolusa.com
765-894-2172 (c)

Shane, is there a woodworking site you don't monitor? :D

Shane Holland
07-11-2012, 11:16 PM
Let me think... Nope. :D

Just doing my best to take care of our customers, Howard. ;)

howard s hanger
07-12-2012, 9:44 AM
I wish my work vendors shared your customer service skills... :(

Carl Babel
07-12-2012, 10:42 AM
Now that is customer service!

I don't own any Festool products yet, but I will be saving my pennies and saving my dimes...

Brad Shipton
07-13-2012, 12:44 PM
I am in Canada, so I will have to deal with my guys in Edmonton, AB. I knew I should be using an impact driver, but occasionally as a male you use whats in your hand or own :)

Thanks again for all the help.