PDA

View Full Version : "Parts is Parts"

steven c newman
07-09-2012, 11:24 AM
I have a few parts I salvaged from the Wreck of the DE6. Mainly the frog, iron and chipbreaker assembly, and the lever cap. Frog cleaned up nicely, and was able to save the bolts. A look at the mess:eek:236466 All cleaned up, now. The iron was a DE stamped iron. Got it and it's CB in my KK7 now. Same store sold both brands:rolleyes: So the KK 's iron was a Stanley iron? It is also a bit narrower the the DE.

Ok, so far so good. I have a supply of both low , and high knobs in the shop. I also have a template to make #5 totes ( and other sizes)236467These are from a chunk of Black Walnut. I save the tote bolt from the DE6, and cleaned it up.

Now, all I need is a new base in a #6 size. I wound up winning a "Bailey" style 18" long base with a frog base to match my Union style frog. Amazzing!:eek: But, those screw holes might just have Stanley threads inside??? back to the bay, and snag a "Parts Plane". Just a newer #4 size, but it does have Stanley threads on it's bolts. Between what the DE6 cost, a new base, and a parts plane, I am still under what that KK7 cost. Parts will arrive this Thursday in the mail. A little shop time to assemble the parts, and maybe shout out "IT IS ALIVE!!" Rest of the parts plane will get used, somewhere. ( There IS a #5 base up for sale, might make a beat up old #4 into a "New" #5) Stay tuned. :cool:

steven c newman
07-09-2012, 11:35 AM
Parts is parts...236468236469236470The DE6's lever cap, the Stanley iron under the KK7's chip breaker, Couple of low knobs needing a new home ( Sargent made DE #5 sitting there) and a supply of bolts. Last picture is of the "Parts Store" in my shop. The vise has wooden jaws, so I can clamp these kind of projects in place, without marring them up in my Monarch machinist Vise. Supplies are getting ready for the next "item".....

Jim Koepke
07-09-2012, 12:09 PM
Many parts are interchangeable, but you will find some makers used different thread pitches on various parts.

I have mostly bought Stanley planes & parts yet still on occasion end up with some parts from other makers. This mostly happens when buying part lots on ebay from someone who isn't aware of the situation.

jtk

steven c newman
07-09-2012, 10:35 PM
just swapped a 2-1/4" iron for some parts. I ship the iron to it's new home, other parts show up at the shop. Other than a couple #5 totes i have to make, should have MOST of the parts for TWO planes.. a #6c and a #5. Might even be a re-hab of another in there as well. Hmmmm, I might have to send Igor out from the laboratory again.......

steven c newman
07-12-2012, 10:52 AM
The 18" long corrugated base has showed up this morning. And, in ONE piece! A little rusty around the sides, no big deal. Hole pattern is a little narrower than the Union frog, no biggie. Some work with some files, and the frog is in place. Base seems to be the second version Stanley put out. No center "rib" on this one. No names, just a "Made in USA" behind the front knob. Threads to hold the knob with are about gone, so, maybe a 1/4"x 24, or a 1/4"x 28 bottoming tap and a new bolt? Tote base has no raised boss to deal with, it is merely a flat area for a tote to sit on. Threads there look very good. Paint (Japanning) is in real need of a touch up. Might as re-paint a Franken plane. I have several low knobs on hand, just need a new style, slotted bolt to hold it down. Fastenal???? ACE Hardware??? We will see as I go along.

Still waiting on that other parts plane to arrive. Might go check out a #5-1/4 & DE4 nearby that is for sale. Photos later, "Honey-dos' are calling......

steven c newman
07-12-2012, 11:20 AM
As promised, photos...236647a groovy bottom236648cleaned up sides236649front porch236650the back deck, note the pad for the tote236651the re-worked frog. hey, it is a franken plane, remember...

steven c newman
07-13-2012, 12:44 AM
Added a tote and a knob. added a lever cap ( DE6) a chipbreaker( also from the DE6) and an iron. Iron was a special one, it came from the DE6, all rusted up. got it cleaned down to good steel, and found out the it is a Stanley SW iron! On a DE6?? Hmmm, I guess this isn't the first Franckein Plane.... A picture of where this project is at, right now236762236763236764Looks like apaint job will be the next item. A Cherry tote, a Union frog, a Diamond Edge lever cap, a DE chip breaker, a Sweetheart iron, a phase two Stanley base= Stanley #6c, of course. What else would it be?????

Lamar Keeney
07-13-2012, 8:39 PM
Good job Steve

I like to see tools put back on the job, especialy when you fix it with what you got.

I don't know if your aware that the Dupli-Coler semi gloss black engine enamal when hot coated can be laid on thick and is a good sustitute for jappaning. I tried it on jack plane after several coats it turned looking good.

Lamar

steven c newman
07-14-2012, 3:00 PM
Just a test drive or two, before sending this plane out to work:236838 i'd say i am getting pretty close to calling this done.