PDA

View Full Version : Blade tension gauge

Thomas Prondzinski
04-07-2005, 7:18 AM
I just got my Iturra catalogue and was wondering which blade tension gauge was being used by fellow creekers? Hoping to spring for a lennox trimaster and a tension gauge for the Rikon.

Thanks Tom

Mike Mastin
04-07-2005, 7:32 AM
I am not sure which one I have(they only offered one when I bought mine), but it was $135.00. It is a god send for tensioning Tri-master blades, I will guarantee you that much :)

Jason Ochoada
04-07-2005, 9:27 AM
Hey Thomas,

I just ordered the Iturra gauge. The only bummer was they charged 12 bucks for shipping and handling. Anyway there isn't any difference in accuracy between that one and the others when I asked them. Also, if you wait they said they are coming out with a cheaper under 60 dollar version which uses a chinese dial indicator and doesn't have the aluminum body. I think that is coming end of april early march

Jason

jerry cousins
04-07-2005, 9:53 AM
i've used the iturra gauge for several year s- no problems.

jerry

Daniel Rabinovitz
04-07-2005, 10:44 AM
Thomas
I use the Iturra Tension Gauge every time I use the bandsaw.
Very nice and worthy tool.
Daniel

Jim Becker
04-07-2005, 11:09 AM
I have and use the Iturra guage. Well-made product.

Ken Waag
04-07-2005, 4:22 PM
I've been wanting the Ittura gauge for a while it just hadn't hit the top of the list yet. I'm glad to hear about the $60 version, which I'm sure would be more than accurate enough for me. It's got to be 100X better than the BS scales which are worse than nothing.

For the budget minded FWW had an article on a simple to make easy to use gauge a while back. Probably $10 or less in materials. It measures blade stretch between two points, like most any tension gauge, but simply by starting with two rods touching. By measuring the distance between them with a feeler gauge you get the tension. As the Author points out, for a given saw you can just do it once and mark an accurate scale on your saw that you can use dependably therafter. You would want to check every month or two because of changes in your springs resilience. Good article in genereal to understand blade tension a little better too.

Tom LaRussa
04-07-2005, 8:26 PM
I just got my Iturra catalogue and was wondering which blade tension gauge was being used by fellow creekers? Hoping to spring for a lennox trimaster and a tension gauge for the Rikon.

I just tighten the sucker until it cuts right.

Seems to work just fine.

Michael Perata
04-07-2005, 11:15 PM
You don't need to spend $135+ if you already have a small (6") dial caliper and two small "C" clamps.

Steve Stube
04-08-2005, 12:52 AM
Hi Michael, Would you enlighten me as to how I can use my dial caliper and C-clamps to measure blade tension? What is the recommended tension? TIA. Steve

Dan Forman
04-08-2005, 2:56 AM
What Steve said!

Dan

Tom LaRussa
04-08-2005, 10:46 AM
What Steve said!

Dan

WHAT STEVE AND DAN SAID!

Hmm...

Looking at Ken Waag's post, maybe you just attach the clamps to the blade with the tension off, measure the distance, then measure again after tensioning?

Maurice Ungaro
04-08-2005, 11:15 AM
.........I'm STILL waiting for my Iturra catalog.....maybe it's in the mailbox today!!!

Steve Cox
04-08-2005, 11:31 AM
Maurice, mine got here day before yesterday. First one for me, definately worth the wait.