PDA

View Full Version : Identifying standing dead timber and reclaimed wood of unknown origin

nikolas britton
07-09-2012, 8:07 AM
Hi,

My question is how do you identify what type of wood your working with? In particular, identifying dead standing trees and reclaimed wood. The resources I've found so far seem to depend on knowing what the leafs or twigs look like. I'm just getting into woodworking (coming from a hobby machinist background, because metal is too expensive), I live right on the edge of a dense forrest and would like to harvest dead standing timber for woodworking projects. I've been able to harvest a few trees so far and I must say it's a real satisfying experience to be able to take a tree and convert it (using machines you built) into precision lumber... I just wish I knew what type of wood I was working with. I'm located where Illinois, Iowa, and Wisconsin interset.

P.S. Do you have to follow the same lumber drying guidelines for dead standing vs green timber?

John Shuk
07-09-2012, 8:23 AM
Some pictures of the grain is helpful. If you have a picture of one or more of your projects we are pretty good at picking up on what you've got.

Andrew Pitonyak
07-09-2012, 11:45 AM
This might get you in the right direction:

http://www.amazon.com/Identifying-Wood-Accurate-Results-Simple/dp/0942391047

MIght be able to get a copy at the Library to check it out, or, if you live in Columbus Ohio, you can borrow mine. This assumes that you have some of the wood to look at, of course. Also, a local woodworking club might help.

It was mentioned that information about the grain is helpful. The book discuses how the wood will look and differ based on what you see.

You may also find this useful

http://forestry.about.com/od/treeidentification/a/winter_tree_id.htm

Ira Matheny
07-09-2012, 1:08 PM
Go to http://hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/ and view the excellent pictures and information on every imaginable tree/lumber. Very, Very good source of the type informatiion you requested.

Kevin Bourque
07-09-2012, 4:00 PM
Look at whats growing around the dead tree first. Similar trees often grow in clusters.
Check out at the overall shape of the tree, size , spacing , and orientation of the branches.
Compare it to living trees in the vicinity.
Does it still have the bark on it? How thick or thin is it. Is it smooth or rough.
After that you can cut a few pieces to determine the density, grain pattern, color.

If you do that and still can't determine the species...welcome to the club!:)
My rule of thumb is that if the mystery wood is hard to cut it must be worth keeping.

nikolas britton
07-10-2012, 1:38 AM
Yes, I found this to be really helpful... [smacks head]... I never paid attention to anything that was still alive. I looked at the living trees in greater detail today and over 90% of them were maple, specifically silver maple and the other varieties that thrive on a floodplain. Thanks everyone, I found all of the links and comments to be useful.

Look at whats growing around the dead tree first. Similar trees often grow in clusters.
Check out at the overall shape of the tree, size , spacing , and orientation of the branches.
Compare it to living trees in the vicinity.
Does it still have the bark on it? How thick or thin is it. Is it smooth or rough.
After that you can cut a few pieces to determine the density, grain pattern, color.

If you do that and still can't determine the species...welcome to the club!:)
My rule of thumb is that if the mystery wood is hard to cut it must be worth keeping.

Danny Hamsley
07-10-2012, 7:31 AM
The best thing would be to find a tutor that can take you out and teach you the basics. I have tutored many people over the years. Almost all hardwoods can be ID'd via the bark and twigs.

ray hampton
07-10-2012, 3:09 PM
The best thing would be to find a tutor that can take you out and teach you the basics. I have tutored many people over the years. Almost all hardwoods can be ID'd via the bark and twigs.

did you forget the leaves and fruit

Danny Hamsley
07-12-2012, 7:31 AM
No, but they are generally not available in the winter.

Jim Matthews
07-12-2012, 8:06 AM
+1 on the look around the stand for similar trees. If you can find a leaf, that makes things pretty simple.
+2 on the Hoadley - there's no better compendium. The endgrain pictures are what helps me, most.

FYI - the local forestry service will have someone that can likely tell at a glance, and provide the tutelage DH suggests. There's no substitute for experience.
You buy the coffee - they do the talkin'.

jim
wpt, ma

Scott T Smith
07-12-2012, 9:44 AM
Be really carefull harvesting standing dead trees. In the logging industry, these are referred to as "widowmakers" because of their tendency to drop limbs and kill the logger.