PDA

View Full Version : Bradford Pear Hollow Form (sad story inside)

Jeremy Leasure
07-08-2012, 8:57 PM
This is the closest I've come to a "true" hollow form so far. Unfortunately I'll probably have to turn off the bead/collar thing as I must've gotten the rim of it too hot while sanding the fine grits. There are cracks opening in two places that I just noticed a few minutes ago. The only other time I've had bradford pear crack on me (even drying the rough outs I've done so far) was when I wire burned it. Instant cracks originating from the burned line even though it was decently seasoned. Oh well, I guess my first hollow form exists in this picture at least :) In it's original state anyhow.

6.25"x2.75"

http://i.imgur.com/zBlrE.jpg

Steve Vaughan
07-08-2012, 9:00 PM
Sorry about the mean old cracks that show up now and again...but this is still a great looking HF! Love the collar/rim thing going on there.

charlie knighton
07-08-2012, 9:24 PM
very nice, maybe put it in bag and it might close back up, i have had maple do that

bradford pear is great wood to turn

Mike Peace
07-08-2012, 9:27 PM
Very nice looking form. Far better than my first HF. And sounds like you learned something about your abrasive protocol which will probably pay off on the next one you do. Funny how we don't learn much when everything goes well.

Thomas Canfield
07-08-2012, 9:34 PM
Can't see the cracks from where I am. It is a nice form and the little section of dead wood (I think) give it some character. I have found some Ornamental Pear from neighbor that looks and turns like Bradford Pear that had some dead sections and that might be part of cause of strange movement and cracking. I just roughed out about 20 OP small bowls 5 to 8" D and sealed with Anchor Seal and am hoping for best.

Steve Schlumpf
07-08-2012, 9:40 PM
Jeremy - I would put some finish on it, let that dry - then go touch up the fine cracks with some CA. The finish will keep the CA from staining the wood and once the CA dries, you can apply a few more coats of your finish and the cracks will very hard to see.

Roger Chandler
07-08-2012, 9:56 PM
Bradford pear will crack .........I have turned a number of pieces of bradford pear, and out of approximately 12-15 pieces, I have had probably 8 crack...........sometimes it is the wood not the turner.........however, too much heat from sanding can contribute.

That is a NICE hf...........I agree with Steve.........finish the thing and save it........too nice not to do so IMO!

Bernie Weishapl
07-08-2012, 10:20 PM
Great looking piece. I would do the same as Steve suggested. I would finish it and then use some CA. I have did that on some mulberry and apple. It works pretty well.

Baxter Smith
07-08-2012, 10:41 PM
Nice work Jeremy! They all won't crack and it looks like you are off to a great start. Some cracks even close up so as to be almost invisible as the rest of the form dries.

Kathy Marshall
07-08-2012, 11:49 PM
That's a great looking hf Jeremy! Very nice form, great looking wood and I like your rim treatment. Ditto on filling the crack with ca.

neil mackay
07-09-2012, 12:06 AM
[ I would put some finish on it, let that dry - then go touch up the fine cracks with some CA. The finish will keep the CA from staining the wood and once the CA dries, you can apply a few more coats of your finish and the cracks will very hard to see

I agree and removing the 'collar' would probably ruin the piece.As it now its a very fine piece with very good shape and form and the collar sets it off extremely well.

John Beaver
07-09-2012, 12:24 AM
Bradford Pear is very prone to cracking. Check your wall thickness and if it's thinner at the rim, then that will only add to the problem. It's a nice piece, I'm sure you'll do many more.

Michelle Rich
07-09-2012, 6:55 AM
looks terrific..keep your fingers crossed..it might make it

Faust M. Ruggiero
07-09-2012, 9:18 AM
Leave the cracks alone. You will never true the form on the lathe to make changes near the rim. Chalk it up to learning. This is a beautiful form and worth keeping just the way it is. Move on to the next. Great first or fiftieth effort.
faust

rick pixley01
07-11-2012, 3:29 PM
add a collar...ala Jacque Vessery