PDA

View Full Version : Ideas to set granite inlay?

Brent Romero
07-08-2012, 8:13 PM
Evening Guys (and gals),

Plugging along on my project and I have a question for you guys. I am going to be gluing together boards for the top of my Big Green Egg table and plan on setting an inlay of granite in a section measuring 18" wide x 24" long. My question is in regards to the rectangular hole for the granite. What will be the best way to cut the hole so that I end up with a nicely finished edge? I was thinking of using a router with a straight bit and some sort of guide. I have a 48" Bora clamp but I dont have one long enough for the length, which is 64". I could probably clamp something to use as a straight edge.

Thanks in advance for the ideas...

Mike Heidrick
07-08-2012, 8:43 PM
I would make a template of mdf with maybe a 4" face so the router base has a place to ride on, position it on the table and mark the hole and the outside of the template for repositioning latter, remove template, jigsaw close to the line, double stick templat back down securely, use a pattern bit and flush route the hole with the bearing riding the mdf template.

If you need a longer bit adjust template hole offset and use a guide bushing.

Brent Romero
07-08-2012, 9:02 PM
Thanks Mike. How should I handle the corners?

Jerry Miner
07-09-2012, 12:11 AM
I would rout with a template also. Clean up the corners with a chisel.

But---- I would be concerned about an 18" stone inlay in a solid wood top. The wood will expand and contract with humidity changes. The stone will not. You will need to provide for this differential or risk self-destruction of your top

Brent Romero
07-09-2012, 7:06 AM
I am using cypress....how much clearance should I leave for expansion/contraction?