PDA

View Full Version : Cheap Zero or Negative hook blades?

Matt Radtke
07-08-2012, 7:23 PM
I recently snagged a Craftsman RAS off craigslist for the low price of "Take it out of my garage and it's yours." I had no real use for it, so I passed it on to a friend that is just starting out.

I'm having trouble finding a decent blade for it. It is my understanding that you want a blade with no hook or negative hook in a RAS. However, the only blades that I know of that are like that are in the $60+ range and have a rather high tooth count. Not a problem for fine work or a precision tool, but neither apply here. My buddy will likely use it to cut 2x4s to length about 90% of the time, so he's having a hard time accepting the price tag.

Can someone recommend a decent blade that is reasonably priced to a novice? Thanks!

HANK METZ
07-08-2012, 7:47 PM
Decent and safe- as in appropriate for the task. I’ve used the Freud 8300 (http://www.amazon.com/Freud-LU83R008-Combination-PermaShield-Coating/dp/B00020JOA0/ref=sr_1_9?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1341790356&sr=1-9&keywords=Freud+LU8) series and am very satisfied with the results. The refrain we all see on any woodworking site was meant for just this situation: “buy the best tool you can afford”. I think once your friend starts to use the radial arm saw, he’ll want to explore the envelope of it’s capabilities and rightfully so, for a novice this is the path to knowledge. I strongly urge that the saw be viewed as a serious tool, and as such particular attention should be given to it’s setup and calibration since it is, by design a multi- function tool. A hook angle of not more than 10 degrees positive is very useful, and if coupled with a triple chip grind will prove most satisfactory.

- Beachside Hank

Do not use remaining fingers as push sticks.

Van Huskey
07-08-2012, 7:48 PM
10" Onsrud miter saw blade (negative hook) on eBay $20.25 with free shipping. Excellent blade only cheap because the manufacturer is dumpin excess stock.

Matt Day
07-08-2012, 9:21 PM
10" Onsrud miter saw blade (negative hook) on eBay $20.25 with free shipping. Excellent blade only cheap because the manufacturer is dumpin excess stock.

I just ordered one of these too - can't go wrong for $20!

Kim Gibbens
07-08-2012, 9:29 PM
Thanks for the heads up Van. Just bought one for my Dewalt 1030.

Kim