PDA

View Full Version : Finally looks like my business can get back on track

Craig Colvin
04-07-2005, 1:40 AM
As some of you may recall, I decided to start a new business last summer which consisted of a do-it-yourself woodshop, woodworking classes and store. It's taken almost 9 months but it looks like I can finally get started. It took 6 months to find a building with the correct zoning where the landlord would approve of my use. I then had a to get a Use Permit from the city which was supposed to be a slam-dunk but the neighboring tenants came to the public hearing to complain, so that caused my Use Permit to be delayed. Just got word today that after numerous hearings, reports, and studies, that the Use Permit has been approved and I can now start building out the space.

It's all been a hypothetical exercise until today. Suddenly it's real and I have got a ton of work to do. It's scary and exciting at the same time.

John Lucas
04-07-2005, 1:57 AM
Craig,
A nice webpage. I wish you all the success in the world. How will you jandle the insurance question? The site lacks pictures of the key members - you and others

Craig Colvin
04-07-2005, 3:48 AM
Craig,
A nice webpage. I wish you all the success in the world. How will you jandle the insurance question? The site lacks pictures of the key members - you and others

Insurance is expensive but not outrageous. Plus I have a very extensive liabilty release (hopefully it won't scare off the customers). :)

There will be a lot more pictures once I'm up and running, pictures of the shop, store, classes, etc. Good idea to add pictures of the staff, thanks for the idea.

Norman Hitt
04-07-2005, 4:12 AM
Good Luck with your Venture, Craig. One question, after looking at your website though. I'm familiar with "Exotic Woods", but What are "EROTIC Woods"? Guess I've missed something somewhere. :D :D

Alan Turner
04-07-2005, 6:57 AM
Craig,
Best of luck. And, of course, I will take some of the erotic hardwood.

What kind of neighhborhood is the new shop located in?

Keith Christopher
04-07-2005, 10:43 AM
Craig,

I'm glad you didn't let any naysayers stop you ! Congrats and be sure and share the first pictures your students crank out !

Keith

Jason Tuinstra
04-07-2005, 11:12 AM
Craig, I'm a bit of a trek from you in Lemoore (soon to be Hanford :) ) but if I ever get up there, I'll be sure to stop by. Looks like things are giong well for you. Congrats!

Craig Colvin
04-07-2005, 11:37 AM
Good Luck with your Venture, Craig. One question, after looking at your website though. I'm familiar with "Exotic Woods", but What are "EROTIC Woods"? Guess I've missed something somewhere. :D :D

WOW :eek:. Thanks a lot for pointing that out! I re-read the entire website every couple of days and am amazed that I find something wrong everytime. Surprised I missed that one.

Alan - The neighborhood is mainly high-tech R&D buildings. Not the best location for retail, but really the only option for the type of business I'm doing.

Ellen Benkin
04-07-2005, 11:48 AM
Looks very interesting and sort of the thing I was looking for before I built my own shop in the garage. I appreciate the fact that you have lower prices for limited hours that would work for us retirees. The start up costs must be very high, what with having to stock the store as well as the shop. I do think the monthy fee is kind of steep -- although I recognize that you have to pay for the equipment and space, etc.

I also looked at the class list. How is enrollment going? The description for the intro class could have some more detail and I think the project is more intermediate/advanced than intro.

If I lived there I might take some classes and I'm sure I would use the store, but I'm not sure I could afford to join and pay the monthly fees. Just thought you should know one person's opinion.

Dan Gill
04-07-2005, 11:50 AM
Looks good, Craig. I missed the erotic hardwoods, but I did notice you have "member's" instead of "members" in one section. (I can't help but see these things - I'm a writer and editor by trade.)

Craig Colvin
04-07-2005, 12:52 PM
Ellen - No enrollment yet, mainly because I'm not open yet and the website has not "gone live" yet. You guys at SMC are the first to get a sneak peak of it. And you are right about the introductory class. The class list is just a sample I threw up to test the web site. The picture shown was from some other project, I was just trying to test how the images would be laid out on the web page.

Thanks also for the comment's on the pricing. I will be adjusting the pricing once I get the doors open and see the response.

Dan - Thanks for pointing that out. Spell check is a wonderful thing and catches most errors I make but it doesn't help with the grammer mistakes or wrong erotic words. :)

Silas Smith
04-07-2005, 2:36 PM
I'm not sure that the enrollment is that high. Considering the location, it seems quite reasonable to me. The rental space maybe, but everything else looked more than fair. $20 an hour and I never have to change a jointer or planer blade and don't have to invest in $5000 in tools. I hope this works out for you because I think there is a niche out there.

Gary Sutherland
04-07-2005, 4:47 PM
I agree that the membership prices seem fair. Don't know about the caged areas tho; $8.75 per square foot per month seems awfully high for just a "space", or does this price INCLUDE the membership?

Overall, it seems like a great setup. I'll be interested in hearing about your progress.

Gary

Richard Wolf
04-07-2005, 5:51 PM
Great idea, lots of people always say that they would like to do something like that, but everyone always tries to talk them out of it. Stick to your goals but be flexiable enough that you can shift with the tide. Best of luck, I really wish you well.

Richard

Andy Pedler
04-08-2005, 1:09 AM
It's nice to see a woodworking store coming to the south bay area. Good luck, and send me a PM when you open. Your address is about 2 minutes from my office, and I'll be sure to stop by.

I like the look of the classes. I might enroll if I can find the time.

The shop space rental price really isn't that bad for the area. Consider it this way. Everyone has a hobby or two that costs money. The rental costs are similar to what you'd pay to join a fitness club out here, or similar type of place.

For most of the folks on this forum who don't live in the Bay Area, you have no idea how goofed up this place is (I grew up in Michigan; now in Silicon Valley). The houses are tiny and packed together side-by-side. You've got a mansion if you can't spit to your neighbor's house. Most folks who would endeavour to wood work have to do something akin to Chris Padilla's garage re-model. Compared to all that work and cost, a little over a hundred a month for a fully stocked shop is a bargain.

Good luck to you! I wish you the best success and can't wait for the store to open.

- AndyP

Craig Colvin
04-08-2005, 2:46 AM
Thanks for all the great feedback. The web site linked to in my original post is not currently live, it's still a work in progress. You guys are the only ones who know about it. As a result there are still a few things to change. For example the classes listed are just a few samples to test the web site. I have another dozen or so to add.

Also I agree that the numbers for the cages are too high. They were way too low initially so I bumped them up, then back down again. The prices on the web site are the high end ones I was considering at one time. I still haven't come up with a good way to price them at this point, I may just have to pick something and see what the market will bear. I don't want to be greedy, but also don't want to be so low that they get snatched up in the first week and then it's difficult for me to change the price.

Richard - You must have been through this because I've had a lot of people try to talk me out of it. A lot agree it's a good idea but don't think it will fly. The few that know me well, seem to have faith that I can pull it off. Time will tell.

David Dixson
04-08-2005, 11:09 AM
Whatever you do, make sure and incorporate your business. It'll help protect you a good bit.

Bill Lewis
04-08-2005, 11:39 AM
For most of the folks on this forum who don't live in the Bay Area, you have no idea how goofed up this place is (I grew up in Michigan; now in Silicon Valley). The houses are tiny and packed together side-by-side. You've got a mansion if you can't spit to your neighbor's house. ... Compared to all that work and cost, a little over a hundred a month for a fully stocked shop is a bargain.
- AndyP

I've been out there and I know what you mean. The housing is tight out there. It's the same reason I figured this venture should have a better than good chance at making it.

There are at least 3-4 WW "clubs" in the MD/VA area that I know about. They seem to be making it ok. If that is any indication, there is definately a market for this type of operation.

Good luck on all of your success!

Ian Barley
04-08-2005, 11:52 AM
..., I may just have to pick something and see what the market will bear. I don't want to be greedy, but also don't want to be so low that they get snatched up in the first week and then it's difficult for me to change the price.

Craig - Set them high and make reduced offers to "charter" customers. Like you say easier to drop them than push them up. I wish you great good fortune with your venture. I have a friend who is in the early stages of a similar idea and there are lots of bumps in the road.

Greg Mann
04-08-2005, 12:23 PM
Craig - Set them high and make reduced offers to "charter" customers. Like you say easier to drop them than push them up. I wish you great good fortune with your venture. I have a friend who is in the early stages of a similar idea and there are lots of bumps in the road.

Craig, I think Ian makes a good point. You do not want to punish your best customers, the first folks, by having to raise prices on them. Most businesses fail because they don't get cash flow going quick enough. Give your early, charter, customers good deals but make sure they 'know' this too. Many private golf courses do this; the charter members get the deal, the cash flow starts, and development/expansion is financed. After that, keep an eye on payables, receivables and quality of cash flow. If you then adjust your charges and rates with smaller, subtle moves, your customers will understand. You also really need to remember this is no longer your hobby. It is a business. BUT, that does not mean you shouldn't have fun. Good luck.

Greg

Lloyd Frisbee
04-08-2005, 12:55 PM
Craig,
I work on the same street as your operation. Let me know when I can stop by and check it out.

Lloyd

Richard Wolf
04-08-2005, 5:56 PM
Richard - You must have been through this because I've had a lot of people try to talk me out of it. A lot agree it's a good idea but don't think it will fly. The few that know me well, seem to have faith that I can pull it off. Time will tell.

Your are right Craig, I was a H.S. shop teacher for nine years, I like the idea of teaching but working with HS students was not for me. I now own a business that affords me a well euipped shop and have given the idea of teaching adults some consideration. Everybody jumps all over you with the negitive comments and tells you how terrible it will be. Go for it and like I said, I wish you the best of luck and hope you make alot of money.

Richard

Ellen Benkin
04-08-2005, 10:52 PM
Despite my qualms about the pricing, I hope you are very successful. As I said, I was looking for something exactly like this when I started serious woodworking. I hope there are lots of people like that in the Silicon Valley.

The only experience of mine that I can compare for your pricing is gym membership. My experience with Gold's (a large chain) is that the price was steep when I first joined and then went down every time I re-signed up. When I finally left Gold's I was paying less than $20 a month, while new members were paying closer to $40. Maybe you can consider a similar "reward" for continuous membership. Of course, you have to actually open for business first!

Tyler Howell
04-09-2005, 11:49 AM
Craig,

Could you add your Web site to your profile so we can take another look. Sounds like a great venture.
Good Luck to you.

Bob Reeve
04-09-2005, 8:12 PM
I would love to see it but have searched this site and your posts Calvin but can't find the URL.

Bob

Craig Colvin
04-09-2005, 8:42 PM
I would love to see it but have searched this site and your posts Calvin but can't find the URL.

Bob

The URL was removed from my message due to copyright issues. It turns out that my web designer grabbed images off the internet as placeholders until I get my shop open and can take pictures of my own. A complaint was lodged about the copyright violation so the link has been removed.

I'm working on getting stock photos to replace the images that were there and hope to have it back in a couple of days.

-- Craig

Bob Reeve
04-09-2005, 8:58 PM
Sorry to hear that. Looking forward to checking it out. Always excited to see something new in Nor Cal.

Bob

Ken Salisbury
04-10-2005, 1:45 PM
The URL was removed from my message due to copyright issues. It turns out that my web designer grabbed images off the internet as placeholders until I get my shop open and can take pictures of my own. A complaint was lodged about the copyright violation so the link has been removed.

I'm working on getting stock photos to replace the images that were there and hope to have it back in a couple of days.

-- Craig

Craig,

You can still put your website URL in your User CP "profile". It can then be found by interested members by the drop down window which appears when they place their cursor over your name at the top-left of any of your posts.

I have no intentions of policing any member's web site as to content. I did however consider the "direct link" included in the body of the post as inappropriate since it was brought to my attention by a member who is a representative of the company who felt their copyrights were being infringed on.

I hope this clears the issue.

http://www.oldrebelworkshop.com/misc/moderator.gif

Craig Colvin
04-15-2005, 3:01 PM
I have replaced all of the copyrighted pictures so the link is now in my profile.

Andy Pedler
03-23-2006, 12:32 AM
Craig, it was great to meet you this week when I finally remembered to stop by the new store. It's literally walking distance from my office (of course, I'm changing jobs next week but will still be just five minutes away). The store looks great, and the shop is beautiful. I'm planning to sign up for some of your classes here pretty soon.

For anyone who is in the South Bay Area, stop by Craig's store. Very cool spot! On a weekday lunch there were a handful of people working in the shop on various projects, and a couple of people browsing in the store. Check it out!

- Andy Pedler

Keith Foster
03-23-2006, 12:43 AM
Craig - that is one NICE shop! And a great idea to boot!

tod evans
03-23-2006, 6:27 AM
craig, cool idea! sent you a p/m. .02 tod

Mark Singer
03-23-2006, 8:22 AM
Excellent business! I wish you the best of luck and success!

Julio Navarro
03-23-2006, 9:10 AM
I'm familiar with "Exotic Woods", but What are "EROTIC Woods"? Guess I've missed something somewhere. :D :D

:p Is it me only or has this sparked a new business idea??:eek:

Rob Blaustein
03-23-2006, 11:01 AM
Great looking place Craig--hope things are going well. I can't recall how, but I found your site a few weeks ago and checked out the pics of the shop. I was wondering about that crosscut sled on the Sawstop saw--looks like an interesting design. I sent an email asking about it but haven't heard back yet.

Mike Zozakiewicz
03-23-2006, 2:07 PM
Great looking place Criag! I will have to stop by next time I am in Sunnyvale -- we have factory over on Reamwood Ave.

Best of luck.

Mike

Scott Vigder
03-23-2006, 2:15 PM
Amazing how hard it is to start up a business, then once you open the doors you realize that was just child's play!

Craig Colvin
03-23-2006, 3:04 PM
Craig, it was great to meet you this week when I finally remembered to stop by the new store. It's literally walking distance from my office (of course, I'm changing jobs next week but will still be just five minutes away). The store looks great, and the shop is beautiful. I'm planning to sign up for some of your classes here pretty soon.

Andy - It was nice meeting you, glad you finally made it into the shop. Look forward to seeing you in class.

There are still a lot of local Creeker's who haven't made it yet. ;)

Michael Ballent
03-23-2006, 3:07 PM
Rob or Craig, where did you see that sled? I was looking for it on the WWW site but did not find it...

Great looking place Craig--hope things are going well. I can't recall how, but I found your site a few weeks ago and checked out the pics of the shop. I was wondering about that crosscut sled on the Sawstop saw--looks like an interesting design. I sent an email asking about it but haven't heard back yet.

Craig Colvin
03-23-2006, 3:07 PM
The business has been doing very well. Membership in the shop is ahead of projections and the retail aspect is just beginning to get where it should be. Takes time to get the word out.

It's been a lot of fun, however I no longer have time to do woodworking. Running the business keeps me too busy. Hopefully I can hire a few folks and then actually have a chance to use the shop.

Craig Colvin
03-23-2006, 3:23 PM
Rob or Craig, where did you see that sled? I was looking for it on the WWW site but did not find it...

There are photos of the shop at http://www.sawdustshop.com/gallery_shop.asp

I'm guessing this is the photo he's talking about. Not a great picture of the sled. I'll try to take a better one.

http://www.sawdustshop.com/photos/shop_ne.jpg

Rob - I did get your email. Sorry I haven't gotten back to you. I don't have plans for the sled but could send some more pics. One of the shop teachers built it and made it up as he went along.

Cliff Rohrabacher
03-23-2006, 3:34 PM
I am tempted to offer some insight on the limitations of releases and how releases can work against you.

You do have counsel yes?

Rob Blaustein
03-23-2006, 3:58 PM
I am tempted to offer some insight on the limitations of releases and how releases can work against you.

You do have counsel yes?
When I first read this I thought you were talking about the hold-down clamps on the cross-cut sled and I was trying to think of how they might work against me...

Craig Colvin
03-23-2006, 4:11 PM

You do have counsel yes?

Yes, I have counsel. And supposedly my release is very well done. A lot of the members in the woodshop are lawyers and several have told me it's the best release they have ever read. When I approached my lawyer he had just finished up writing a release for a bungee jumping business and had spent 3 months researching releases. So he applied that experience to my release.

That being said I would still be interested in hearing any advice you would care to give. Better to be well informed in such cases.

Cliff Rohrabacher
03-23-2006, 5:03 PM
So very glad to see you got counsel.

I have defended way too many folks who got themselves out on a limb only to hear the branch cracking before they consider that. Apparantly it seemed an unnessessary expense to them - at the planing stage.
The saw stop is a good idea too, if for no other reason, it shows you are trying to minimize risks.

Nice layout, nice floor plan, good orginization.

In that part of the country you should do well with that product. Now to get a write up in a local journal or three.

Brandon Shew
03-23-2006, 5:08 PM
http://www.sawdustshop.com/photos/shop_ne.jpg

That picture's clearly photoshopped - waaay to clean in there! Best of luck.