PDA

View Full Version : Help with file

Bruce Dorworth
07-08-2012, 4:35 PM
I tried cutting out this file, but instead of cutting in a smooth continuous motion the laser cut in little segments. I know there are a lot of nodes but that can't be the problem???

Bruce

Glen Monaghan
07-08-2012, 4:57 PM
Where did you get the file (I was looking for something similar, as well as a couple of other heads like moose and rhino)? It appears to have been converted from a .dxf format, which typically causes what should be continuous, smooth curves to become disjoint, non-smoothed segments. If possible to get original, non-dxf design files, then one can try to convert directly to cdr or other vector format that doesn't break up the curves this way. Otherwise, you could weld the segments together, join endpoints as needed, and smooth the resulting curves as desired.

-Glen

Joe Pelonio
07-08-2012, 5:14 PM
With CAD files you will often have all of those nodes plus many segments on top of each other so it cuts them all many times. Glen's solution is correct but it's time-consuming.

Rich Harman
07-08-2012, 5:52 PM
I used smart fill, converted to curves then smoothed. Also deleted various nodes.

Bruce Dorworth
07-08-2012, 6:08 PM
Thanks Rich, I am going to cut this tonight so I will tell you how it works out. I would definitely be interested in learning more about this process you used.

I think the files you were talking about(moose, elephant and some others are at Cardboard safari) or something like that. Actually they don't have the file they will cut out the animals for you.

I am not sure where I got this file but I know it was free.

Bruce

Glen Monaghan
07-08-2012, 6:22 PM
"Reduce nodes" can be used to quickly clean up (remove) tons of extra nodes on areas that should be smooth curves. Just be careful in areas where you want to keep more "texture" such as manes or rough/bumpy areas, because reducing nodes will tend to smooth out the curve if used too aggressively.

-Glen

Bruce Dorworth
07-08-2012, 7:42 PM
Rich, thanks again I just finished cutting out the Deerhead and it worked great. It turned out to be smaller than what I had thought, but still way up there on the WOW scale.

Bruce