PDA

View Full Version : I actually built something!!!!

Silas Smith
04-07-2005, 12:27 AM
Yes, amid all of the blabbering and useless questions that I have been asking lately, I actually found the time to build something. This is a suggestion box for work and it is actually my 1st commissioned piece! I built this in exchange for a leigh jig. Unfortunately, after I messed up the first box by putting dados on the outside of the box, I ended up spending around $100 in materials. Still, I have spent maybe 5 hours on this box.

I spent so much time because I was trying to learn how to finish the box without sandpaper. In the end I gave up and only finished the lid with my plane. That is the part that incorporates the curly maple, and it really makes a difference to cut the wood instead of smashing it down flat with tiny rocks. ;)

I know this is very amature by some people's standards, but considering I am comming up on my 1 year anniversary in this hobby, I am still proud of it. Oh yeah, I though I would take a picture of the beautiful top before I have to cut three ugly holes in the top for papers to go in. They will probably want me to paint it before I am through.:(

Cecil Arnold
04-07-2005, 12:33 AM
Looks very well done. How did you hinge the top? If they are buying you a Leigh you still have a good deal, ask for the D4 and not the 16" it is more versitile, especally if you should deside to do blanket chests ot large casework.

Mark Singer
04-07-2005, 12:46 AM
excellent!...nice `woods...great job!

Bryan Nuss
04-07-2005, 6:05 AM
Very good work, Silas! A beautiful finish and a nice selection of woods.

John Hart
04-07-2005, 7:59 AM
Nice work Silas. The contrasts are great. My boss would love the fact that there's no slot for suggestions too!:D

Dan Gill
04-07-2005, 9:41 AM
Very pretty! And I think you made a good trade, especially since you can probably use most of the wood you "wasted".

Jeff Sudmeier
04-07-2005, 9:44 AM
It looks great! I am sure they will be very happy, as are you :) Too bad you have to cut it to use it :)

Ken Fitzgerald
04-07-2005, 9:48 AM
Excellent work and finish Silas......!

Jerry Clark
04-07-2005, 9:51 AM
Good looking box, and nice contrasting wood!:)

Lou Morrissette
04-07-2005, 9:57 AM
Great looking box, Silas. The DT's came out super. Nice work.

Lou

Jason Tuinstra
04-07-2005, 11:17 AM
Silas, looks like a good "trade" to me. You did a real nice job on this one!

Ellen Benkin
04-07-2005, 11:52 AM
That's a beautiful piece of work and getting a Leigh jig is a great payoff. But, how many "suggestions" do they expect to get?

lou sansone
04-07-2005, 12:21 PM
looks good to me.... you must be quite quick with only a total of 5 hours in the whole project! good going

lou

Mike Wilkins
04-07-2005, 12:23 PM
Very nice work on the box. If anyone suggests painting such a beautiful
piece of wood, you have my permission to strike them on the head with a
heavy object.

Mike Scoggins
04-07-2005, 12:45 PM
Silas,

Very nice job on the suggestion box. Let me be the first to suggest that you make more such pieces.

Although the dimensions are quite a bit different, it reminds me of a box I made for my parents 50th wedding anniversary last year.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=9609

Again, great job!

Mike

Joe Judge
04-07-2005, 12:51 PM
nice box!

Also, one way to get the non-sandpaper finish you desire is:

- sandpaper to a fine enough grit (220,320,?)
- SCRAPER

Use a scraper on the surface. Its similar to planing in that you're using an edge of metal to surface the wood.

I find it really does justice to fine wood.

--joe

Silas Smith
04-07-2005, 2:27 PM
Thanks to everybody for their kind comments, especially my fellow Texans. It really will be hard for me to route the holes in the top. I need to finish it up though because I already have another commissioned piece. I need the hawk scroll saw that I saw at the woodworking show last week and this one should go a ways to paying for it! The new techniques I uses on this box were:

1. using a backer board on the D4. I had no tear out and I was very pleased with the results.
2. I tried resawing for the first time. It was a learning process and I wouldn't recommend using $7 BF wood to learn on.
3. Hand planing instead of sanding
4. I used BLO for the first time. I just did a 50% mix with mineral spirits. I think that was a little thick and I will cut it down more next time.
5. The lid is actually my first raised panel door. I was able to crank up the shaper and learn alot.

The advantage of being so new to the hobby is that there are a million new techniques to try. I just try and incorporate a few new ones in everything I do. I really think there might be something to this hand plane business though. There is a certain amount of pride that comes with using hand tools that I didn't think would be there.

Ken Shoemaker
04-08-2005, 8:39 AM
Wonderful use of contrasting woods... A peice of art....

Kelly C. Hanna
04-08-2005, 8:51 AM
Nicely done Silas!

Byron Trantham
04-08-2005, 10:23 AM
Silas, I like it. Very nice appearance. :D