PDA

View Full Version : Mother in Law Gloat!!!

jason thigpen
07-08-2012, 11:57 AM
My Mother in Law came in a few weeks ago for a visit. She stopped by a few antique stores on the way and surprised me with a bunch of goodies! Having issues finding info on some of these. Thought y'all mght be able to point me in the right direction. First up is this monster of a router plane. It is a Buck Brothers 242. The blade is huge. I wasn't sure what wood this was made of at first. After spending quite a bit of time freeing the wedge, I found out that it was made of beech. Just really dirty beech! Looking forward to cleaning this guy up.

jason thigpen
07-08-2012, 12:01 PM
Next is this massive skew rabbet, I think? 1 3/4" blade.missing the nickers, but I'm sure I can fabricate something. The rear tote is something I've never seen before. It's set into a shallow mortise, around 1/16" deep and secured with screws. It is an Ohio Tool Co. 119. In great condition.

jason thigpen
07-08-2012, 12:05 PM
I don't know much about this one. It has a sweet adjustable depth stop and a 3/4" skewed blade. Missing another blade and wedge in the front. The mortise for the missing blade is really steep. I can't tell if it is Rowland Tool Co or Howland Tool Co from NY.

jason thigpen
07-08-2012, 12:08 PM
And last but not least, a #12 round from H.L James from Williamsburg,Mass. I set the blade depth last night and took some wispy shavings without sharpening a thing! This plane will be a great user after a little TLC.

Jim Koepke
07-08-2012, 12:20 PM
Wow, my mother in law doesn't even like to acknowledge that I exist.

On the router plane. The only marking I could make out was BUCK. That might be a different Buck than the Buck Brothers or even Charles Buck. There are some Buck branded tools from England. For all I know they may all be related.

The missing nickers on the first rebate plane will likely be easy to make from a nail or such.

The steep missing blade on the other is most likely a fork shaped blade that was used for its nickers.

jtk

jason thigpen
07-08-2012, 12:28 PM
sorry bout the photo quality. my skills are seriously lacking in that department. I didn't realize that there were other Buck's out there! And after looking a little more closely, the location stamped on that one is Tottenham, which appears to be to be in North London.

Jim Koepke
07-08-2012, 1:10 PM
Here is a source of a little more information on the Buck Brothers.

http://sawnutz.galootcentral.com/buck/index.htm

There is a link to a page on Charles Buck.

It seems their family had a long line of edge tool workers. That is why my suspicion is of some of the Buck marked tools from England may be from relatives.

If my memory is working yours is the third or fourth different English mark that included Buck in the name. Not being much of a history geek, they elude me now. If you have a saved search for Buck on ebay you will see a few different ones at times. I think I have seen a Buck & Barnes mark a few times.

jtk

Gary Herrmann
07-08-2012, 2:51 PM
Wow. Great MIL. I'm not sure mine even knows I have a shop.

Zach Dillinger
07-08-2012, 8:28 PM
The 3/4 dado plane is from A Howland. 3/4 dado planes are useful to have around (very common joint size).

Your skew rabbet will also come in handy. They can be used to raise panels as well as cut joints. I have one that is also missing the knicker, but they are plenty useful without it.

Sweet router, and that round should proof useful. Now you just gotta find (or make) the matching hollow.

Mark Wyatt
07-08-2012, 9:17 PM
The front iron for the dado plane should generally look like the one below. A hollow plane iron can be reground to this profile. Or, I guess this would be one of the easier profiles to make from scratch although I've yet to do that.

george wilson
07-08-2012, 9:33 PM
Buck of Tottenham Court is the whole address of the English Buck. It is good to see that your mother in law supports your interests!! I think my first mother in law thought I was odd because I made guitars. Turned into a career,though,with toolmaker being added in 1986.

jason thigpen
07-10-2012, 11:57 AM
Thanks for all of the great feedback guys!

Mark, thanks again for the reference photos. That front nicker is a piece of work. Should be fun trying to fabricate one!