PDA

View Full Version : I have a chance to buy a Grizzly G1495

Jay Jolliffe
07-08-2012, 11:21 AM
Used Grizzly really good condition for 450.00 Is that a good deal....New to turning so it would be try it out to see if I can do it...

Jim Burr
07-08-2012, 11:49 AM
Instead of the often frustrating method of the "Self-taught" system, find a club in your area and save the holes in your sheetrock and lots of wasted blanks. They can get you started right!

Jay Jolliffe
07-08-2012, 11:58 AM
Unfortunately for stuff like that I live on an Island & the last boat back is 5:00....so that puts a dampener on a lot of stuff like that...

Roger Chandler
07-08-2012, 1:17 PM
The G1495 sells for $995.00 new.....only 3/4 hp and has 7 speeds the lowest being 500rpm which is a little high for out of balance bowl blanks............if you are careful to try to cut your blanks out where balanced, it should not be an issue. This is a lathe more designed for spindle work, but bowls can be made on it.

Not a bad price for a lathe in good condition, but not a higher end lathe.........you will likely upgrade in the next two years if you get bitten by the turning bug...............for a starter lathe...........pretty good deal. I have the G0698 and it has been a fine lathe for me!

Don Alexander
07-08-2012, 1:56 PM
if bowls are what you want to do save yourself the inevitable upgrade next month and pass on that lathe

500 rpm slowest speed is definitely too fast and the Reeves Drive on that thing will likely not get down to 500 rpm except with a brand new belt and then it will likely begin creeping up with use (its also under powered)
i would advise spending the money on a lathe better suited for bowls (slower the low end rpm's the better) ............ you will be alot happier

been there, done that learned my lesson

Michelle Rich
07-08-2012, 2:46 PM
Funny, the responses. I have had this lathe for 25 yrs. it has been a workhorse & never given me a bit of trouble , and I used it everyday. BUT if I were to buy a lathe as a beginner today it would be the Delta 46-460.

Bernie Weishapl
07-08-2012, 2:50 PM
Ditto what the others have said. I agree with Don. I did the same thing. I bought a Craftsman lathe to see it I would like it. So I got a better lathe. If I would have spent the money in the first place on a better lathe I would have saved and been better off. I would look at a Jet 1220 VS, Rikon or a Delta 46-460. All will turn a 12" bowl plus about anything else from pens to vases. Then if you fall in love with turning like most of do then buy your big lathe such as a Nova 1624-44, Jet 1642, etc. Keep the smaller lathe for turning pens, ornaments, etc.

James Combs
07-08-2012, 2:57 PM
+1 on the 46-460 as a beginning lathe or if you want to start big right away then the Jet 1642 or Griz G0733(follow on to the G0698)

Chuck Jones
07-08-2012, 3:17 PM
I have been closely involved with a friends acquisition of a G1495 for $500. He's had it about 2 months and is happy with it.

As has been noted the low end speed is somewhat of an issue. He has actually brought a couple very rough blanks to my shop to round them and get them more balanced. He doesn't think that's a big deal because he like to come to my shop and dig in my firewood pile.

Think about the spindle size and threads per inch. I think it's 1" x 12tpi. Most upper end lathes (except Oneway which is metric) are 1 1/4" x 8tpi. Most mini's are 1" x 8tpi. Grizzly sells some pretty good chucks that fit the 1495, but you probably couldn't use them if you decided to upgrade. This is a bit of a trap no matter where you start and end up. Just something to keep in mind.

My friend has no problem with the power of the motor. It seems way more powerful than a 3/4 horse.

He works some pretty large and rough wood and he is a bit unhappy with the banjo (thing that hold the tool rest). It is a little wimpy. Doesn't come out far enough for some of his larger pieces. He's looking for a more hefty banjo.

Personally I agree with Michelle about the Delta 46-460. Nice little lathe for around $600 not including the stand.

Good luck with the frustrating decision.

Jay Jolliffe
07-08-2012, 3:47 PM
Went to look at the lathe & bought it for 400.00.....It comes with a 3 jaw chuck that I don't see at the Grizzly site & 19 Robert Sorby turning tools all razor sharp. Some things were missing like the spur center, sanding attachments & face plate.....He made up some of his own face plates that he uses. Now I have to make room in my shop....Not going to be easy. Some storage cabinets will have to go & I'll have to move my table saw that the 52" rails. I guess we'll see what happens....I guess it's not a good Idea putting it in front of a window....May have to put some kinda wire mesh over it.....

Jon Nuckles
07-08-2012, 4:18 PM
Congratulations and good luck with the new lathe! With respect to lathe placement, I wouldn't be too concerned about the window if that is the easiest place to put it. I've thrown a few bowls, but never high and away. Even at high speeds, they generally have hit the bed first. YMMV, of course. Keep the big tablesaw nearby, it will be a good place to keep your lathe tools and roughouts!;)

Roger Chandler
07-08-2012, 4:47 PM
Congrats Jay! On the community tab at the top of the page.....if you will click that and then groups, you will find the Grizzly Green Monster Group..........a community of Grizzly lathe owners, who give info about turning and Grizzly lathes in particular. Feel free to drop by, and join if you wish...........we currently have 42 members in the GGMG, and you can post pics and ask questions related to your lathe, etc.

Jay Jolliffe
07-08-2012, 4:51 PM
Thanks....I didn't even know that was there.....

Baxter Smith
07-08-2012, 10:54 PM
Congrats Jay. Sounds like you got a good deal! I was at "Arts in the Park" in Belfast today. Three turners had booths set up. Something for you to shoot for next year!

Mike Cruz
07-09-2012, 7:27 AM
I think there is one locally here for $100. I don't think the price of $450 is anything to go run to....

Roger Chandler
07-09-2012, 7:37 AM
http://cdn0.grizzly.com/pics/jpeg500/g/g1495.jpgThis is the G1495.......he got a decent deal!

Jay Jolliffe
07-09-2012, 8:13 AM
That's the one...The only thing's that seem to be missing are the sanding stuff on the end & the spur center. He's going to look around his shop for them...Hope he finds them...What I did get as an extra like I said is 19 Robert Sorby turning tools...They seem to be worth a good amount from what I've found for prices if I had to buy them....

Mike Cruz
07-09-2012, 8:40 AM
Jay, you'll probably be fine with it...at least for now. You are right that the tools add value. When you upgrade (notice I said when, not if), you'll at least have turning tools to keep. Worst case scenario, you should be able to unload the lathe for $300 and you get to keep the tools. Would be nice if he can find the extra stuff that came with the lathe so it will be complete. If not, find out how much they are from Grizzly, and see if you can knock that off the price...

Don Alexander
07-09-2012, 8:51 PM
nice deal i think; with that many Sorby tools the lathe could be considered nearly free :)

welcome to the vortex ........ if you listen carefully you will hear a sucking sound that is going to get alot louder hehe