PDA

View Full Version : Wall or Glass Removable Vinyl Cutouts

Joel Matteson
07-08-2012, 9:33 AM
We are looking into making some removable wall or glass vinyl graphics on our Universal. I've read a lot about the hazards and know not to use the typical adhesive backed vinyl sheets or contact paper. What I haven't found in searching the forum is a completely laser safe product that we could use. We don't have a plotter or any other equipment so it would have to be safe for use in our Universal.

Any ideas / supplier recommendations would be appreciated.

Rodne Gold
07-08-2012, 3:47 PM
You need a polyester based sign vinyl , 3M used to do a range. I doubt that you get the removeable type tho , all the polyester types we have used have VERY aggressive adhesives ....
HOWEVER, if your exhaust system is decent , kiss cutting normal sign vinyl now and then is really quite safe , the amount of fumes emitted is really minimal , its not like you cutting 1/4" vinyl or rastering it where fume generation would be quite serious. Lasering really is not a great way to accomplish sign vinyl cutting anyway, you have a lot of issues. You struggle to hold it perfectly flat (I suggest a flat piece of steel and some magnets)
You struggle to get a setting that just kiss cuts it all over the sheet and the edges of the "cut" you make with a laser melt , and if your kiss cut has pierced the silicon (waxy) layer of the paper carrier , then the edge melts or sticks to the "raw" paper exposed , making weeding difficult. Adjusting your pulse per inch or "frequency" downward till you almost get a perforation helps with this , if you are able to do so.
You also have more issues with very small characters which the laser cant do well at all and you are limited in size to your laser bed or smaller.
To get optimal results you might also find your stock 2" lens is not up to the task and have to buy a 1.5" or shorter focal length

But don't be put off by all this , Try it on your laser anyway , it will work with a little trial and error, if it becomes a volume item , get a plotter.

Joe Pelonio
07-08-2012, 5:05 PM
Typically the polyester based sign film is very limited in colors and has the permanent adhesive. There is some made for large format printing that is repositionable, you have to apply 40 lbs of pressure to break the encapsulated adhesives. Unfortunately it comes only in clear and white. That would work if you have a big printer, but with just a laser I don't know of a good solution other than investing in a plotter. They are a lot cheaper than lasers, as little as $199 for a desktop version.

Michael McDuffie
07-09-2012, 2:55 PM
I figured that with over 1200 CFM vented outside I'd be OK punching small holes in vinyl end caps.

The springs that support the table now look like they have spent time near the sea shore and a 6" rule I used to leave in the machine is now unreadable on the exposed side. Nothing else seems to have been affected and I did the last of them 7 or 8 years ago.

Michael