PDA

View Full Version : My neighbor wanted something different...

Bill Hensley
07-08-2012, 7:23 AM
...for her coffee table. This is what I came up with. I let her preview it prior to putting any finish on it and she approved. I like it but my wife isn't quite as fond of it because of the top.

This was a big piece of cherry, diagonally the top is ~18" and the bowl diameter is 10.5". The finish is some walnut oil and a few coats of Waterlox. I intended to keep it a satin sheen.

This is the biggest piece of wood I've turned and I remained cautious the whole time I was turning it.

So I'm sharing just out of curiosity to know what the rest of you think. I welcome you comments good or bad.

Steve Vaughan
07-08-2012, 8:24 AM
That's is different and wonderfully so! Beautiful grain in that thing and i love the rim treatment on the bowl part. Very well done sir!

Steve Schlumpf
07-08-2012, 9:56 AM
I really like the rustic quality of the piece and it definitely has a folk-art quality to it, so I can see why your neighbor would want to display it! Nice job! Hope it leads to some commission work for you!

Bernie Weishapl
07-08-2012, 10:26 AM
Really a nice looking bowl. I can see why she liked and will display it.

Harry Robinette
07-08-2012, 9:14 PM
Beautiful piece, would love to see a lighter picture so we could really see it.

Bill Hensley
07-09-2012, 7:16 AM
Thanks for all the good comments.

Harry - here's a different view and I lightened a little. This piece was a little tough to capture the overall character.

Billy Tallant
07-10-2012, 12:35 AM
Very nice piece! That top really sets it off. Definately can see why that will make a wonderful display piece.

Tim Rinehart
07-10-2012, 8:16 AM
Bill, this is a fine piece and I agree with Steve's comments about the rustic like and folk art quality it imparts.
I keep looking at the piece of cherry you left with me on your visit...is it some of the same wood?
Look forward to our getting together up your way sometime in the fall!

Baxter Smith
07-10-2012, 8:31 AM
Great looking centerpiece!

Bill Hensley
07-10-2012, 6:07 PM
Thanks guys, I appreciate the additional comments.

Tim - yep, the same wood. Let me know when you are ready for a road trip.