PDA

View Full Version : Shagbark Hickory nested set

Kathy Marshall
07-08-2012, 3:45 AM
I managed to come by a large chunk of shagbark hickory and even though I've heard that hickory can be very hard, I decided to core it for a nested set.
Yep, hickory is hard. I also had problems with tearout on the biggest bowl, I tried all the tricks, different tool presentation, different tools, lots of sharpening and light passes, but there were a couple of spots in the endgrain where I just couldn't get a clean cut and resorted to the 80 grit gouge to get rid of it.

This was the hardest wood that I've cored so far. It has alot of the characteristics of pecan, so I'm thinking they may be related but this is a much prettier wood than pecan.

The bowls were cored over about a 5 day period. After I took out the first core, I finished up the large bowl and left the core sitting in the soap bucket to keep it from drying out and cracking before I could get back to it.
After I took out the 2nd core, I finished up the 2nd bowl and again left the core in the soap bucket. Today I took out the final core and finished up #3 and #4 and I swear they turned easier than the 1st 2 with much cleaner cuts.

They are all finished with Antique oil and the sizes are:
11 x 6, 9 1/2 x 3, 7 x 2 and 5 x 1,

Thanks for looking!
comments and critiques are welcome.

John Kent
07-08-2012, 5:20 AM
Very nice grain Kathy, Looks like a lot work, but it sure was worth it!!

Bill Hensley
07-08-2012, 6:43 AM
Glad you hung in there with them, the grain pattern makes for some very attractive bowls. Well done!

You are correct about pecan and hickory, they are in the same family.

Michelle Rich
07-08-2012, 6:52 AM
very nice set..hickory is underrated. I think it's terrific and makes lovely useful items

Steve Schlumpf
07-08-2012, 9:59 AM
Beautiful bowl set! Love the rich color and grain!

Bernie Weishapl
07-08-2012, 10:18 AM
They turned out nice Kathy. Really nice wood grain and color.

David E Keller
07-08-2012, 10:19 AM
That's beautiful, Kathy! It's much prettier wood than any pecan I've seen and beautifully turned and finished.

Clint Baxter
07-08-2012, 11:21 AM
Like the wood and like what you did with it. Nice job!

Clint

Roger Chandler
07-08-2012, 1:40 PM
Nice work K!

Reed Gray
07-08-2012, 4:52 PM
Kathy,

I know you probably have told us before, but which coring system do you use?

robo hippy

Harry Robinette
07-08-2012, 8:18 PM
Kathy
I know you have been using the soap and water mix but even with it the tear out MIGHT be controlled by applying just some liquid soap.We usually
apply oil to put on the wood to help with tear out but with the soap and water I think just liquid soap will do the same thing,it will lubricate the wood and it will help with a smoother cut.
Just a throught

Baxter Smith
07-08-2012, 10:49 PM
Great looking wood made into some very nice bowls Kathy! Four must mean your getting the hang of the McNaughton. You will be getting a five bowl set before long!:)

Kathy Marshall
07-08-2012, 11:32 PM
Thanks everyone!

Kathy,

I know you probably have told us before, but which coring system do you use?

robo hippy
Reed, I've got the McNaugton system.

Kathy
I know you have been using the soap and water mix but even with it the tear out MIGHT be controlled by applying just some liquid soap.We usually
apply oil to put on the wood to help with tear out but with the soap and water I think just liquid soap will do the same thing,it will lubricate the wood and it will help with a smoother cut.
Just a throught
Harry, I did try the soap/water mix, sprayed on and let it soak in. It did help a little, but that was some of the most stubborn tearout I've seen.

Great looking wood made into some very nice bowls Kathy! Four must mean your getting the hang of the McNaughton. You will be getting a five bowl set before long!:)
I lucked out with 4 because the blank was so deep (I couldn't get the cutter deep enough for the 1st core to pop out, so I had to put my chuck in the recess on the face and twist until I tore the core out :eek:), don't know that I'll ever get 5!