PDA

View Full Version : Redwood Burl Bowl

Mark Kelly
04-07-2005, 12:01 AM
Here is an almost finished redwood burl bowl. It is 8 inches in diameter and just about 2 inches deep. So far it is only finished with BLO. I will probably put shellac on it then wax, followed by a hand buffing. I am getting a lot better with the bowl gouge...and yes, it is all because of practice. I have about 6 roughed out bowls drying now and more blanks to rough out. Also, I need to work on taking pictures to get the whole bowl clear without part of it being out of focus. Or maybe I just need new glasses. ;)

Ernie Nyvall
04-07-2005, 12:15 AM
Good looking bowl Mark. It's not your glasses. Some of it is a little out of focus. What kind of camera are you using?

Ernie

Mark Kelly
04-07-2005, 7:56 AM
Canon G4 Digital. I need to find a better background too.

Glenn Hodges
04-07-2005, 8:36 AM
I cleaned my glasses and it was still a little fuzzy, but what the heck. I can tell you have a very good form with the outside being true to good bowl lines and the inside following the outside lines. I like burls, and only wish I could see the wood better. Thanks for posting, and will be looking forward to more of your work.

Jeff Sudmeier
04-07-2005, 8:59 AM
The bowl sure does look nice. You have the bowl making part down, now you just have to work on the pictures.

It's always something :)

Mark Kelly
04-07-2005, 11:42 AM
Thanks for your kind comments. I was thinking the form needed some work!!! That was the hardest part was trying to get the outside to be the same as the inside lines. I used the caliper God gave me to determine that, as it seemed to be the most accurate! :)

I will try to re-take the pictures with better light. Unfortunately, the light is from the flash and florescent. Maybe I can take some natural light pictures today and see if that makes any difference. Nice thing about digital is you can take 100 pictures and not worry about the cost to develop. Any thoughts on what color to use as a backdrop for the pictures?