PDA

View Full Version : Pencil cup for LOML

Steve Busey
07-07-2012, 10:01 PM
Last project from my 5 day weekend (no shop time tomorrow... :( )

The piece of cherry seemed the right size for a pencil cup, so off I went. Met my wife when we were both living in St Thomas 30ish years ago, so the laser engraving is significant. BLO, WTF & buffed before engraving. Thanks for looking.

Bernie Weishapl
07-07-2012, 11:09 PM
Steve that is a beauty. Really well done and like the engraving.

Steve Schlumpf
07-08-2012, 12:04 AM
Nice keepsake! The engraving sure adds a different element to a turning! I am sure your wife will love it!

Michelle Rich
07-08-2012, 6:56 AM
A lovely & thougtful keepsake. Good job!

Russell Eaton
07-08-2012, 8:57 AM
Very nice Steve. I have had very little shop/turning time lately. Will try to post some pics later of what I have been doing. I am sure the wife LOVES that cup, you did a great job with the laser as well.

Steve Busey
07-08-2012, 6:29 PM
little shop/turning time lately. Will try to post some pics later of what I have been doing.

That's more the rule than the exception around here. Looking forward to seeing what you've been up to, Russell.

Gary Herrmann
07-08-2012, 9:16 PM
Yep, make em pens and pencils, and they'll need cups to hold them. My wife has two cups now. Very nice job.

But why would you move from St. Thomas to Marietta? Don't get me wrong, I have friends that used to live there. But St. Thomas?

Yes, I grew up near the ocean, and still wonder how I got land locked.

Steve Busey
07-09-2012, 8:33 AM
But why would you move from St. Thomas to Marietta? Don't get me wrong, I have friends that used to live there. But St. Thomas?

Got "rock fever". There was only so much for a young fellow to do on a 3x13 mile piece of rock - I saw too many folks come down and drink/smoke themselves into oblivion. Wasn't going down that road. We still fly down and visit every couple of years, though. It's still a nice place to visit!

Billy Tallant
07-10-2012, 12:28 AM
Steve, great looking pencil cup. I really like that 1st photo. When I look at it, the circular grain pattern makes me think of the world with your USVI laser engraved as an enlarged view of the islands on top of the world view. Laser effect definately adds another dimension to your cup.