PDA

View Full Version : Face Frame euro hinges question.

C Scott McDonald
07-07-2012, 9:37 PM
When lookng at Blum face frame hinges they have 1/2, 3/4 and 1 inch. What does that measurement mean? Is it the overlay of the door? So if i buy 1 inch hinges and my face frame opening is 12x12 I would make the door 13x13?

Thanks
Scott

Leo Graywacz
07-07-2012, 9:46 PM
The overlay is only on the hinge side. If you were to get the 1" overlay and apply the overlay to all sides then your 12x12 opening would have a 14x14 door covering it.

Another thing to consider is door interference. That means when you open the door how much of the door remains in the opening. Usually a 3/4" overlay will remove the door from the opening at 90 degrees.

Since the overlay only applies to the hinge side you can make the other three sides any overlay you wish.

Ken Fitzgerald
07-07-2012, 9:55 PM
The overlay is only on the hinge side. If you were to get the 1" overlay and apply the overlay to all sides then your 12x12 opening would have a 14x14 door covering it.

Another thing to consider is door interference. That means when you open the door how much of the door remains in the opening. Usually a 3/4" overlay will remove the door from the opening at 90 degrees.

Since the overlay only applies to the hinge side you can make the other three sides any overlay you wish.

Sage advice!

I found out the hard way recently even with greater than 90º opening, some of the door may wrap back and reduce the clearance of the opening. I bought 8 Euro hinges with plans to use them on 4 doors on my recent entertainment center build. The entertainment center uses full extension slides on 6 drawers and 4 shelves. Luckily I made a model up before I drilled the holes in the paneled doors and caught the problem. I bought other hinges and will use the Euros on another future project where the shelves aren't slide mounted.

Leo Graywacz
07-07-2012, 10:06 PM
That is something I try to mention to newbies about the Euro line of hinges. The don't have the same geometry of a butt hinge and it can be a big screw up if you don't plan for it (as you found out)

This is especially something you need to account for when you are using the more expensive clip top hinges and doing an inset project.

C Scott McDonald
07-07-2012, 10:12 PM

I just don't get how that math works on the overlay. What does the 1' indicate? It the distance from the inside edge of the face frame to what? I must be orver thinking this as it doesnt make sense to me.

Sean Hoag
07-07-2012, 10:29 PM
The 1/2, 3/4. or 1" overlay is the distance from the outside edge of the door on the hinge side to the inside face of the frameless cabinet...or to the inside face of the face frame. The Blum hinge can be adjusted +/- 1/8" once the door is mounted for fine tuning the fit of the door.

When you drill for the hinges, it won't matter what the overlay is because they are all drilled at about 22 1/2 mm in from the edge of the door to the center of the 35 mm hole. The offset is built into the hinge.

hope this helps?

Ken Fitzgerald
07-07-2012, 10:53 PM
As stated...the overlay is the distance that measured from outside edge of the door on the hinge side to the inside edge of door opening on the hinge side.

Typically doors will overlay equally vertically and horizontally. Thus if you were using 1" overlay Euro hinges and had a door opening of 12"x 12", you would make your door 14" by 14" and the door would "overlay" the opening by 1" in all directions.

In reality you could just have a 1" overlay on the hinge side and not have any overlay vertically or on the opposite side from the hinge and thus your door would measure 13" w by 12" tall in the same example.

frank shic
07-08-2012, 12:12 AM
just use 1/2" overlay and add an inch to the have frame dimensions for your final door dimensions. please post pics of the final product!!! :)

scott vroom
07-08-2012, 3:00 PM

For base cab pull out sliders I use the Blum 155 degree zero protrusion hinge....it guarantees the door will be out of the way of the slider.

Leo Graywacz
07-08-2012, 3:27 PM
For base cab pull out sliders I use the Blum 155 degree zero protrusion hinge....it guarantees the door will be out of the way of the slider.

Only on overlay. With inset it will work but you need to open the door fully, but I don't think that is a good solution.