PDA

View Full Version : Powermatic 141 Wheel Bearing Help

Bob Coleman
07-07-2012, 8:55 PM
Hi All,

I'm working on fixing up a 1966 Powermatic 141 I picked up a few months back, and need some advice on removing the upper wheel bearings from the bearing housing.

I removed the snap ring and tried to tap the shaft out from the back (non-wheel) side. The shaft moved enough so the end of the shaft was flush with the bearing race, then nothing. (of note, the lower bearings popped right out)

The exploded view from the manual is below.

Anyone have a good method for this? Next up is taking it to a shop, but I'm a little leery they may crack the cast housing.

Van Huskey
07-07-2012, 9:23 PM
I am running out the door but this is a thread that MAY help, if not I will take a harder look.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?184397-Rebuilding-Powermatic-143-Bandsaw-need-technical-assistance&highlight=powermatic+141+bearing

Bob Coleman
07-07-2012, 10:04 PM
I found that thread before I posted, the details there are predicated on already having removed the shaft. (ie, now you have a hole to tap out the bearings from the back)

Paul Steiner
07-07-2012, 11:09 PM
I had the same problem on the same model. I sprayed it with PB blaster and let it sit for several hours reapplying every so often. After that every thing came out with ease. Have you tried using a wheel puller on the shaft to push it out?

Van Huskey
07-08-2012, 12:44 AM
Sorry, didn't "get it" when I was reading it fast. PB Blaster or any penetrant should do the trick.

Bob Coleman
07-08-2012, 9:09 PM
PB Blaster worked! Thanks!

Still took a lot of "persuasion", bearings were really tight on the shaft. Did they heat shrink the fit at the factory? Or is it a straight press fit? I'm not looking forwards to putting it back together!

Ronald Blue
07-08-2012, 9:19 PM
Is there any rust or anything like that? Clean the shaft but be careful not to use anything more abrasive then scotchbrite to shine it up. You don't want to remove stock. This type of bearing should be a light press otherwise if it is able to work at all it will soon be loose on the shaft or in the carrier.

Bob Coleman
07-09-2012, 12:01 PM
Its not really corroded, but the surface finish of the shaft is pretty rough, much worse than the machined inner bore of the cast housing. I'm less worried about damaging the housing putting it all back together since most of the force seems to be required getting the bearings on the shaft.