PDA

View Full Version : Translucent Norfolk Island Pine - The Experiments Continue...

BILL DONAHUE
07-07-2012, 8:49 PM
Here's a translucent Norfolk Island pine (NIP) vase that's 10" x 6" and about 1/16"thick. It was soaked for about 500 hours in a linseed oil mix to make it translucent. This is my fourth of seven attempts at NIP, each one using slightly different techniques as an experiment. The results of these experiments with concentrated dishwashing detergent, induced spalting, boiled linseed oil and different turning techniques are described in an article that is expected to be in the February, 2013 issue of "Woodturning Design" magazine. Essentially, I used the techniques of the great Ron Kent http://www.ronkent.com/ (http://www.ronkent.com/) and tried to expand upon them. My very simple photo set up is also shown. After initially trying gradient paper, I found I got better results using black construction paper and a shop light on my hydraulic lift table (didn't even take time to remove the road bike). In a future post I'll have a photo of a different NIP vase in a display case which I feel is a more realistic way to photograph a piece. Making a translucent NIP takes a lot of time, much of it not on the lathe, but I feel it's worth it. This piece will be on display at the Pensacola Museum of Art beginning next week.

Dennis Ford
07-07-2012, 8:52 PM
Very nice work, I know it is difficult to get the wall thickness even enough to get this effect.

Bernie Weishapl
07-07-2012, 11:25 PM
Beautiful piece Bill. I would say the time is well worth the effort. I agree getting the walls even at that thickness take a lot of patience and finesse.

Steve Schlumpf
07-07-2012, 11:56 PM
That sure turned out great! Congrats on having it on display at the Museum of Art! Would be interesting to see how they light it up to showcase the grain!

Looking forward to reading your article when it comes out!

Eric Gourieux
07-08-2012, 1:39 AM
Beautiful work. And congrats!

Bill Hensley
07-08-2012, 6:52 AM
Must agree, that is a beautiful piece. Also congrats on getting to display in public.

Oh, and the bike looks like a nice one also! Isn't it too hot now to ride in Florida?

Michelle Rich
07-08-2012, 6:53 AM
Stunning!!!!!

BILL DONAHUE
07-08-2012, 9:32 PM
Must agree, that is a beautiful piece. Also congrats on getting to display in public.

Oh, and the bike looks like a nice one also! Isn't it too hot now to ride in Florida?

Bill, thanks for the kind words. Yeah, that's a great bike, a Specialized Roubaix Expert. It's very fast, but unfortunately the engine has a lot of miles and is starting to slow down. Still, it's easier to do 20 to 30 miles on it in Pensacola's heat than it is to woodturn in the Un-air-conditioned garage.