PDA

View Full Version : They dropped My PM 3520 on the motor

George Guadiane
07-07-2012, 1:24 PM
The movers dropped my lathe on the motor. The casing is bent with the screw mounts torn. I'm afraid the motor is terminal, AND the drive pulleys no longer lines up with the center pulleys. I don't know if it is just the motor that is killed or if the whole headstock is blown and I don't know anyone yet in the Daytona Beach Florida area who can tell me...

HELP! (please)

Dick Strauss
07-07-2012, 1:34 PM
George,
I'm sorry to hear about the accident (hopefully without injuries). If you can supply some pictures of the areas of concern, we might have a better idea. Without seeing it, I'd hate to hazard a guess. It could be a c-face mount that can be replaced or worse as you suggest.

Defintely let the movers know ASAP about the damages if they don't already know. Take pictures now so that you are ready when you need to file a claim for damages (if applicable). Don't take "almost good enough" for an answer from anyone. You paid good money for this lathe and it should be placed in service in the same shape.

Good luck,
Dick

Steve Vaughan
07-07-2012, 2:17 PM
You paid good money for this lathe and it should be placed in service in the same shape.

And likely paid good money to the movers too! They definitely need to resolve this one! I'd not only contact the movers - ASAP - but also PM. And then give the movers the PM number.

Faust M. Ruggiero
07-07-2012, 2:19 PM
Sorry to hear this story, George. I am not surprised the pullies no longer line up. The motor is heavy and probably got knocked out of position. I'm sure the moving company is insured and will come through. I am also sure you will do the proper due diligence and make sure someone who knows the equipment makes sure any fix brings it back to perfect. Meanwhile, maybe you should treat this like a wrecked car. Get it repaired and sell it. A nice new Oneway or an American Beauty will make you feel much better. Good luck.
faust

Gary Max
07-07-2012, 2:25 PM
You were insured----let them buy you a new one. No reason for you to fix and fight to get things back to right. This is why you hire movers so it gets done right.

Brian Libby
07-07-2012, 4:14 PM
That sure is a bummer! Best of luck getting it resolved with the mover.

Rob Sitze
07-07-2012, 6:29 PM
The movers would be buying me a new lathe. It might be repairable but problems might show up later.

George Guadiane
07-07-2012, 6:33 PM
I only hired the movers to unload the truck. They are a SMALL local company and they have already denied me any compensation... I may have to sue to get anywhere. Meanwhile, I'm without a lathe.

Steve Vaughan
07-07-2012, 6:36 PM
A nicely written letter from a lawyer just might do the trick. Good luck with this...I hate it for you.

J.D.Redwine
07-07-2012, 7:30 PM
Check with your agent. There might be something in your homeowners policy.

George Guadiane
07-07-2012, 7:42 PM
The NY homeowners already rejected me and the FL policy has a $2500.00 deductible.
One more step before the lawyer. Its in their contract.

Gary Max
07-07-2012, 7:45 PM
I only hired the movers to unload the truck. They are a SMALL local company and they have already denied me any compensation... I may have to sue to get anywhere. Meanwhile, I'm without a lathe.

I would contact a lawyer---- they are a busniess----Pro's--- they are responsible.
I bet they won't even give you the name of their insurance company.
You could contact them and file a claim yourself.

Faust M. Ruggiero
07-07-2012, 8:29 PM
George,
I looked at my 3520 after reading your sad plight. I would guess the hit on the end of the motor forced the armature forward into the head stock. Take lots of pictures then pull the motor, examine the castings for damage then find a motor shop to advise you. Ask them to check the Variable speed drive while you are there.Collecting a judgement against someone is probably easy. Getting $$ from them is something else. I suggest you call the Better Business Bureau as well as the Chamber of Commerce. Uninsured movers should not be allowed to exist as a business.

Ken Fitzgerald
07-07-2012, 8:30 PM
George....I would explain to them a new lathe would be cheaper than the lawyers fees and a big dent in the company's public image. Depending on the state laws, your only option might be small claims court.

Harry Robinette
07-07-2012, 8:43 PM
I'm with Gary M unless you hired them off the street corner if they don't have insurance send them to jail.Thats a ruin lathe new head stock is the only way to go and they would pay or go to jail if it was me.

Bernie Weishapl
07-07-2012, 11:22 PM
George I would contact PM and get a price on a new headstock with shipping. That way whoever you decide to contact you will be able to tell them what you want done. If it were me a new headstock would be the minimum.

Curt Fuller
07-08-2012, 10:37 AM
I've never hired a mover so I can't speak from experience. But I know that anyone in any business nowadays would be crazy to not have something in their contract that would cover their liability. I found this while googling mover liability...http://www.topmovingcompanies.com/moving_tips/insurance_liability.html I'm sure it's broad and doesn't cover every state but it makes me think you need to carefully read the contract you signed with your mover. See if you paid for a full replacement policy for your stuff. If not, you'll have a battle on your hands over this issue.

Joe McMahon
07-08-2012, 12:38 PM
It has been my experience that furniture movers are very poorly insured. A friend retired and moved from Chicago to Arkansas. He hired a very big named country-wide mover and loaded his home furniture and life's treasures. He took video of his things being loaded by the cigarette smoking movers into the van. The truck left and he finalized his house closing and sale of the few things he left behind. The move would take two days in transit, with the movers just moving everything into the new home, locking up when finished, and dropping the key into the mail box.

My friend was still in Chicago five days after the move when he received a call from the Chicago police department asking about the fire.

"Fire? What fire?" my friend asked. "The fire on I90 at Addison street in Chicago." the officer responded. It seems that as the loaded truck proceeded down the expressway five miles from his old home, smoke was seen billowing from the rear trailer. They pulled over and disconnected the tractor from the trailer just before the entire trailer burst into flames. It was a total loss. The movers just left the fire scene in their tractor and never called their client.

It took my friend two years of fighting to settle for their policy limits, $20,000- minus of course his attorney fees. What do you value your life's possessions and furniture at? Certainly a lot more than $20,000 (minus attorney fees of 1/3).

Ken Barney
07-09-2012, 1:37 PM
George, sorry to hear about the unfortunate circumstances with your lathe. You mentioned, "I don't know anyone yet in Daytona Beach Florida area..."

While I live in the Orlando area, I can tell you that the closest Powermatic Authorized Service Center to the both of us is located in Sanford, FL., which probably about 35-40 miles from your location. They are:

James Finch Machinery
2415 S. Elm Ave.
Sanford, FL. 32771
Phone: 407-256-7647

Probably best to have your lathe looked at by trained professionals who can identify the full extent of the damage and can provide an accurate estimate of the total repair costs.

Best of luck to you!

Don Orr
07-09-2012, 2:03 PM
Sorry for the trouble George. I hope you get it worked out in your favor soon. Gonna be ugly getting to that point I imagine.

There's a real nice Stubby for sale in the Classifieds right now. Just in case. Not far from you in South Carolina. Just sayin.

Mike Goetzke
07-09-2012, 3:21 PM
George - Without pictures it's hard to estimate the damage, but, I bought a new-in-box cyclone from a guy. I checked everything out except the motor. The motor was never removed from it's packaging and there was no physical damage to the packaging. When unpackaged it I could see the motor was loose and took a good hit. Ends up I replaced the end housing and had to press the shaft a little further into the motor and it's been running fine for the past 3-years (did the repairs with the advice of a motor expert). Just wondering if your alignment is off similarly due to the shaft moving in the armature from the impact.

Good luck,

Mike

Tim Rinehart
07-09-2012, 5:02 PM
So sorry to hear about the mishap George. Doesn't sound real promising, but we all hope for the best. Whenever stuff like that happens, sometimes you just gotta think to yourself how much worse it could be...move on and forget about it. Keep us posted on what you find out, will be a good learning experience, if nothing else positive comes from it.

Donny Lawson
07-09-2012, 5:26 PM
Sorry to hear about the damage. Hopefully you will get it resolved soon.

Joe Scarfo
07-09-2012, 9:20 PM
For the movers I have used, and there have been a few, the insurance provided was pennies per pound. It was not matched to the value of the articles being moved...

I always had the option of purchasing "replacement" coverage. Given my employers were covering the costs, I always did. The cost was a few hundred dollars for the additional coverage.

In one case, my homeowners did provide some level of loss coverage. Most people are having stuff lifted out on closing day upon which the policy may be ending...

Sorry to hear about your losses. Not long ago I had a shop fire and took it in the shorts pretty hard. Have yet to replace my beloved mustard monster...

rick pixley01
07-11-2012, 3:25 PM
I hate to add to your worries about movers..I had a nationally recognized and allegedly reputable mover move me...I had a large amt of cash go missing during the loading, had the police out to search the car of the day laborers the independant trucker hired off the streets,and nothing was found..They moved me to Pa and when They finally arrived they had broken several pieces of furniture..They, of course claimed it was already done and denied all liabilities..I would sell everything and start over if I ever had to do that again...The feds were absolutely no help and there are many outstanding complaints agains interstate movers with absolutely NO punishment for their reckless treatment of your lifelong treasures..It's really a corrupt buisness and I'm talking about ALL of them...

Rick Markham
07-12-2012, 12:21 AM
Sorry to hear about this George. Hard to say what's best to do, If you don't get a favorable response from the moving company, I'd try and sue the individual that fumbled! Welcome to Florida, I live in Lakeland! Sorry your lathe got dropped on the trip :(

David Dobbs
07-12-2012, 12:53 AM
It is tough to get anything out of the movers. Had a buddy that went thru hell with one of the big name movers. The one with the ship on the side of the green truck. The moving van turned the corner to fast an ended in the lake . Stuff was a mess he ended with a few dollars from them but it was pennies to what was messed up.

Jon Lanier
07-12-2012, 1:12 AM
A phone call and/or letter to the Attorney Generals office of the State may very well take care of many problems. I've done that before and it is amazing how quickly things get resolved. Business' do not want to be on that watch list.

George Guadiane
07-13-2012, 1:32 PM
Thank you to everyone for your advice and condolences.
I have spoken to James Finch Machinery, he told me to take off the crushed cover (which I did) to see if the motor spins freely (IT DOES!)
This gives me great hope that there may be little I need to do to get this thing running again!!!!!!!

I'm still going to have James Finch actually look at it and give me some kind of "bill of health," and if it comesup OK I'm going to absorb the cost and never use/or recommend the movers again...

DON - thanks for the tip on the Stubby, but my next one (after the new kitchen is an American Beauty.