PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Had Experience with Royce/Pacific Saw Blades Etc.?

Ronald Blue
07-07-2012, 12:26 PM
I see they make a wide variety of tooling. Parent company is Canadian it appears. They are located in San Bernadino California.
ebay 251080534838

Erik Loza
07-07-2012, 12:35 PM
Not familiar with the "Pacific" part but Royce/Ayr (of Canada) is the mfr of blade we supply with all our saws and their blades are very high quality. They may not be well know to private ww'ers since thy deal primarily to the industry. Similar to Onsrud, in another thread which is running now. I have no hesitations about recommending them.

Erik Loza
Minimax USA

Ronald Blue
07-07-2012, 12:43 PM
Thanks Erik. I consider your endorsement to be a valuable one. The fact you supply their blades standard with your machines is a strong endorsement.

Erik Loza
07-07-2012, 12:59 PM
The only complaint/comment I have gotten back on Royce/Ayr blades is that they have a pretty fat kerf on the melamine (triple-chip) blades and that some of my guys have needed to get more shims for their paired scoring blades in order to get the scoring blade to cut properly. Probably a non-issue for solid wood blades but something to be aware of for sheet good processing.

Best,

Erik Loza
Minimax USA

Van Huskey
07-07-2012, 1:15 PM
Could the Pacific after Royce mean they are an Asian version compared to their Canadian built line? If you look at the Royce/Ayr catalog their dado blades don't have the same tooth count nor tooth spacing and all their chippers seem to be 2 tooth. Somthing to consider...

Chris Fournier
07-08-2012, 10:21 AM
Royce Ayr is in my backyard and currently they are my source for tooling. The quality of their cutters and blades is fantastic and I don't think that there is a better value option out there for me. I buy, Tersa knives, shaper cutters (inlcuding spiral heads) and saw baldes from them. Zero complaints. I recommend this company.

Ronald Blue
07-08-2012, 2:25 PM
I sent an email questioning where this is made and about warranty. I will post their response when I get it.

Van Huskey
07-08-2012, 2:27 PM
I sent an email questioning where this is made and about warranty. I will post their response when I get it.

Thanks I would be interested to know, if they are indeed made in Canada I may buy one, although I have 2 high quality (Forrest & Freud) stacks I would buy and hoard a Canadian made Royce set for $100!

Ronald Blue
07-12-2012, 11:43 PM
Van you nailed this one. Here is their reply.

Hello. The 8" dado set on ebay is made in Hong Kong and we have been selling them for years without complaints. But we also offer an 8" fine cut dado set with 40 tooth outside blades MADE IN CANADA by ROYCE AYR. The list price on that one is $ 443.00 and I will be able to give you a 20% discount on that price. Regards, Holger

Erik Loza
07-13-2012, 9:30 AM
Wow, that is interesting to know.

Erik Loza
Minimax USA

Mark Koons
02-05-2014, 4:38 PM
I live far from any but the most basic industrial supply services. The closest competent full-service carbide shop is a 235 mile round trip. When I carried in a stack of mostly Forrest blades and said I was looking for better, smoother rips, blades that wouldn't flutter and warp (or is it warp and flutter?) the counterman offered to order in a Royce ripper for me.

I was in awe when I took it out of the package. I'd never owned a blade of this quality. Maybe it cuts so well and creates that impression because the kerf is wider and plate appreciably thicker, something on the order of 5/32", but this is the best cutting rip blade I've ever owned.

One thing about Forrest's wide recent popularity is that there's a large component of advertising and multiple levels of distributorship to pay for when you buy their blades.

Today, though, I'm looking for an 8" stack dado with an inch bore to fit a Powermatic M-72. After Googling my requirements and getting nothing better than 5/8" bore sets on Amazon, I searched "Royce saw blades" which brought me here. I am disheartened to read about Royce's price of $400+ for an 8" dado set. I'm nearly 70. Will I get enough use to justify the cost?

One generalization, though, if you want excellent tooling, listen to sharpening professionals. I trust their recommendations over those of a company that sends me ads a dozen times a year.

Another generalization I embrace is that quality is not directly related to country of origin. While it is true that some of the world's cheapest crud comes from China, you can put that on the shoulders of the importers, not the workers. A professional tool tester I know tells me that some highly-reputed German companies best production is now made in China. To ignore that, if it is true, is to allow prejudice to interfere with sound business decisions.