PDA

View Full Version : Anyone attach Benchdog CI extension to Sawstop ICS left side?

John Myers
07-07-2012, 12:10 PM
I'm leaning towards getting a Sawstop ICS w/o rails and fence, and adding the INCRA TS-LS fence system. Because of shop space limitations I would like to replace the saw's left CI wing with the Benchdog CI router extension. Has anyone done this? I'm wondering if the saw's blade tilt handle on the left side will interfere with the placement of the router under the BD extension.

I know the SS ICS has a 30" deep table, while the BD extension is only 27". Does this matter? The extension isn't held up by the TS-LS rails, so this shouldn't matter. Besides, I was thinking I could easily fill out the 1 1/2" on either side of the router extension table.

John

Matthew Hills
07-07-2012, 12:38 PM
I don't have experience with this combo, but I would try hard to find another place to put the router where it wouldn't be in the way of common operations (crosscut sled on table saw).

I'd give some hard thought to a small router table that I can tuck out of the way when not in use. Maybe a plywood box or a Bench Dog contractor table? (I have the latter; had a bit of bow in the phenolic insert, but have since replaced with an aluminum insert).

Or, how are you arranging the table saw out feed area? If you are leaving space for out feed, could you put a router in the back-left (i.e., out of way of narrow rips or short cross-cuts; and only requiring clearing for panels/sheet-goods?)

Matt

johnny means
07-08-2012, 12:59 PM
On my ICS, the CI extensions are bolted to the rails. I'm sure the extensions would hold themselves up without being supported by the rails, but I wouldn't want to put to much strain on the webbing that bolts the extension to the table. Why not span the gap with a length of 3"tube or channel?

Another issue with mounting the extension on the ICS is having doors on both sides of the cabinet. Of course you can lift the router out for access, but through the table dust collection, via an enclosure, is not an option.

Peter Hawser
07-10-2012, 5:03 PM
Lefty sounds complex. Don't rule out right side, though you will have no shortage of people saying, "But that will require routing in the opposite direction that you saw..." to which I reply, "And...?"

Van Huskey
07-10-2012, 5:08 PM
Lefty sounds complex. Don't rule out right side, though you will have no shortage of people saying, "But that will require routing in the opposite direction that you saw..." to which I reply, "And...?"

Most people that mount right probably use the same feed direction as the saw. They just have the face of the fence face the saw blade, it is how the Incra system works. I personally could not feed from the "back" of the saw since there is a outfeed table there.

Bruce Page
07-10-2012, 6:34 PM
I have the Benchdog wing bolted on the left side of my Unisaw and have no worries about strength – as long as you aren’t sitting on it you won’t have a problem. As far as the BD router being in the way of TS operations, it’s true that you can’t use both at the same time but it’s easy to work around the issue.

The main question is if it will bolt up with the ICS without modification. Worst case is you drill a few holes in the wing to match the ICS, not a big deal.

johnny means
07-10-2012, 11:50 PM
– as long as you aren’t sitting on it you won’t have a problem.

In my shop, any flat surface is liable to be asked to support my weight and then some at any given moment.

Anyway, John, thought I'd add, I have the BD stand alone router table top and I love it.

Bruce Page
07-11-2012, 1:09 AM
In my shop, any flat surface is liable to be asked to support my weight and then some at any given moment.

Anyway, John, thought I'd add, I have the BD stand alone router table top and I love it.

I'm not knocking the stand alone table, I wish I had the room for one. The BD wing option gives me almost the same bennifits without taking any more space. :)

Peter Hawser
07-11-2012, 8:11 AM
Most people that mount right probably use the same feed direction as the saw. They just have the face of the fence face the saw blade, it is how the Incra system works. I personally could not feed from the "back" of the saw since there is a outfeed table there.

I don't know anyone who does that - seems it would be awkward. My outfeed table isn't the full width of the saw so I am able to get in there from the back for the router table. It is nice to be able to be able to use my table saw and router without losing a set up on the router (I have a separate fence for the router table). Either way the Benchdog table is very good. I don't think there is better out there and there is certainly worse.

Tom Willoughby
07-11-2012, 1:27 PM
I installed my router to the right of my table saw wing and use an Incra fence for both the saw and the router. It is a set up that works well for me and saves space. My table saw outfeed also catches long pieces on the router table.

Tom

Van Huskey
07-11-2012, 7:42 PM
I don't know anyone who does that - seems it would be awkward. My outfeed table isn't the full width of the saw so I am able to get in there from the back for the router table. It is nice to be able to be able to use my table saw and router without losing a set up on the router (I have a separate fence for the router table). Either way the Benchdog table is very good. I don't think there is better out there and there is certainly worse.

I take it you don't know anyone with an Incra fence and a right wing mounted router. I thought it would be strange but I have no issues with it. I have two other router tables, one is mounted in the center of the outfeed so you are cut off from the "front" as well. I use it to cut dados and grooves and you have 42" of support on each side of the router.

Peter Hawser
07-13-2012, 11:51 PM
No I don't. This makes sense.