PDA

View Full Version : Table Saw and Jointer long term storage

Bob Elliott
07-07-2012, 10:33 AM
We sold the house and are going to rent while we look for another house to buy. I put my table saw and jointer in storage. When packing we assumed we would rent for a year while we looked.

I put a thick coat of wax on the TS and jointer tops to prevent rust. Is there anything else I should do? I put a piece of rosin paper on the TS and plywood I wanted to keep on top of the rosin paper. Is that a good or bad idea?

I want to do whatever I can to prevent rust on the cast iron surfaces of these tools.

Thanks,

Bob

Shawn Pixley
07-07-2012, 11:19 AM
I use boeshield then wax. Cover with a moving blanket from HF.

scott spencer
07-07-2012, 11:27 AM
Boeshield T-9 is one of the most proven rust preventers for cast iron....wax helps prevent water from penetrating, but doesn't actually prevent rust directly should moisture get through. To be safe, I'd remove the wax with mineral spirits (2 minute job), and cover the saw with a thick coat of T-9 and leave it. You can cover everything with a breathable cloth sheet/table cloth etc.

Erik Loza
07-07-2012, 11:31 AM
I would remove the drive belt(s) and just plan on buying fresh ones when you plan to begin using the saw again. Arbor nuts or any other fitting or fastener that ordinarily is torqued or compressed down, I would remove and store in a glass jar of oil or other preservative. Those things have a tendency to gall or freeze into place with time. Ditto on the entire acme threaded rod for the tilting assembly: Lots of grease and work it back and forth with the tilting handle to make sure it coats the whole length as well as the gear. Also, spray some electrical contact cleaner into the various switches.

My wife and I just moved back into our house after 6 months and I am putting my garage back together, so know how it goes. Best of luck with your project.

Erik Loza
Minimax USA

Bob Elliott
07-08-2012, 10:02 PM
Where can I get T-9?

Thomas Hotchkin
07-09-2012, 12:46 AM
Bob you can order from Amazon.com, or any other WW store. On your tool storage I would add blowing or vacuuming out all sawdust to your list, and spray Boeing Shield or JJ"s wax to all gears and jointer knife head. Or just wax any unpainted surface. Tom

Erik Loza
07-09-2012, 1:50 AM
My local Sears also sells it in the tool department.

Best,

Erik Loza
Minimax USA

Carl Beckett
07-09-2012, 8:19 AM
+1 on the T-9.

And not just the top surface, spray all the nuts/bolts/threads/ways/ moving parts. I used to use white lithium grease for this (in a spray can), but for longer term storage the T-9 is better. Run them through the entire travel as stated to get it coated. Hitting the electrical contacts is a good recommendation.

Then if you really are into it, wipe the painted surfaces down with some liquid car wax. I lived in Puerto Rico two years and all the appliances rusted in the salt air. Using the liquid car wax regularly made a huge difference. (the other thing I did was vacuum pack all my hand tools using food storage vacuum bags .... but thats a different story)

I wouldnt put a very heavy blanket over it - would be afraid any thick fabrics could become moisture wicks themselves. And also a magnet for critters (mice, bugs, et al). I like the rosin paper with a sheet of plywood on top concept.

Myk Rian
07-09-2012, 10:02 PM
When I'm not using the TS, I put a HTC machine cover on the top, then a piece of chip board on that.

Mac McQuinn
07-09-2012, 11:30 PM
I also used a HTC cover for my TS and Jointer with excellent success in a unheated garage. When expecting to not use the tools for lengthy periods, I also apply a film of CRC 3-36. 15 years after the fact, they looked close to new when recently sold.
Mac

When I'm not using the TS, I put a HTC machine cover on the top, then a piece of chip board on that.