PDA

View Full Version : Delta Table saw Model 34670 opinions?

Jerry Olexa
07-07-2012, 10:22 AM
I have a contractor saw in my garage shop along with a jointer and a planer..The bulk of my tools (routers, finishing, miter saws etc) are in my basement workshop. I am considering buying a smaller TS to have in the basement to avoid the stairs when a small cut, rip, trim is needed.
I have an opportunity to buy a older Delta 34670 table saw at a reasonable price (under $100) that could be the answer. I've had difficulty finding info, parts, specs, ratings on this unit in the usual ways (Google etc). Do any of you have experience with this saw and/or offer advice, suggestions, warnings??
I understand it is a relatively loud belt drive motor? Any ideas you guys have will be appreciated...Thanks,
Jerry

glenn bradley
07-07-2012, 11:05 AM
Since the requirement is size and not format, you will be able to answer this better than us (I know, big help huh?). For quick cut on a smaller scale I find a small bandsaw to be more flexible than a second tablesaw. Smaller footprint and more versatile but, not as accurate. Just food for thought.

scott spencer
07-07-2012, 11:33 AM
Hi Jerry - IIRC, the 34-670 has a small cast iron top (22" deep x 38" wide with wings), steel fence, steel wings, a universal motor with a small cog belt, and weighs in at ~ 150#. If so, it's a predecessor to the 36-600 which was my first saw. Some have been known to go through motors, but if this one has survived this long, it could be ok....be sure to use a short heavy gauge extension if you have to use one. It cut everything I needed to cut and is a good candidate for thin kerf blades. Its pretty loud....it's not on par with a full size contractor saw with an induction motor but could still be a viable saw if it suits your needs. Under $100 is reasonable if it runs well. Good luck!

Jerry Olexa
07-08-2012, 10:54 AM
Thank you, Glenn and Scott...As I think it over and consider your thoughts, I may switch my target:There is some risk with that old of a saw plus a non-induction motor..So I may add a few $ to my budget and upgrade to a more dependable saw..Even though it will have little repetitive use, I will want quality results...Thanks for your input and tips!!
Jerry