PDA

View Full Version : Which Bandsaw for a second one?

Ed Lang
04-06-2005, 9:39 PM
I have a Grizzly G0514 and would like a second bandsaw so I can keep one setup for resawing and one for bandsaw boxes and other good cuts.

Maybe my thinking is flawed, so let me know!

What saw would you get? Not the MM16, that is 2K

Jet 14", Delta 14", Grizzly 14"...?

lou sansone
04-06-2005, 9:44 PM
how about this one for resawing small stuff ;)

just having fun. You have to admit it is a pretty nice looking saw... not mine though

regards
lou

Mike Cutler
04-06-2005, 10:02 PM
Ed. I have the Jet 14". It's a nice saw. I have it setup with Carter Guides and a riser block, but I like the blade guide design, and the Carter upgrades on the Delta better. The lower guides on the Delta have the thust bearing closer to the underside of the table.

Dave Malen
04-06-2005, 10:12 PM
Ed,
For resawing I'd get a saw with at least 2hp. You might consider the 17 inch griz , which is very reasonably priced. Wilke machinery sells a bridgewood taiwanese saw similar to the griz but with iron wheels.
Great luxury to have a second bandsaw.

Davae

Mark Singer
04-06-2005, 11:21 PM
I kept my 14" Jet when I bought my 20" Agazzani...the 1" Trimaster stays in it all the time...in the 14" Jet has a 1/2" 10 tpi joint blade...it is a supa combination

John Miliunas
04-06-2005, 11:28 PM
Ed, I'm kind of sorry I let my 14" Jet go when I bought the Laguna, but LOML woulda' had my hide if I kept it!:( I had it setup with the riser and, with a 3/8" blade, it was great for stuff like cutting turning blanks and such. A smaller blade worked super for bandsaw boxes, too.:cool:

Ed Lang
04-07-2005, 8:05 AM
I may not have been clear with my first post.

I have the Grizzly G0514 19" Heavy-Duty Bandsaw - 2 HP. I am happy with it for resawing even with Grizzly blades. I want to try another "good" blade but don't know what to buy yet. (someone want to offer an opinion here). It takes a 143" blade.

I want a second bandsaw for doing non resaw stuff like making toys and bandsaw boxes. My wife will be using this saw a lot as well. We both are getting tired of changing blades on the Grizzly when we both are in the shop, which is most of the time.

Along with the second bandsaw, I'll need to get a few blades, I expect 3/8" and smaller.

Thanks for the info so far and I look forward to more suggestions.

If I understand the above posts so far, it seems I should scrap the guides that come on the saw and buy the Carters.. That being the case, what is the Grizzly lacking and can I get Carters for it? I am off to find Carter Guides next!

Thanks folks!

lou sansone
04-07-2005, 8:49 AM
hi ed...

I take it that you did not find my tannewitz post funny... no disrespect meant.

Now to the question about blades. I have been very happy with all of the "timberwolf" blades. For me the AS-S was a great resawing blade, the other blades that timber wolf make are also very good. Go right to suffolk machine to find the blades.

http://www.suffolkmachinery.com/

It sounds like a 14" machine might be fine for the little work you describe.

regards lou

Ed Lang
04-07-2005, 8:55 AM
hi ed...

I take it that you did not find my tannewitz post funny... no disrespect meant.

regards lou

NO NO... I did find it funny! But I turned GREEN when I saw that bandsaw!!
And NOT Grizzly green either! Glad I don't have to buy Lenox blades for that monster!!!

I just want a good resaw blade for the Grizzly and a good smaller saw for my wife and I. I'll need good blades for that one too. There are so many choices out there.

I just finished reading a review on the Carter and two other guides.... The bottom line was that none of them make a lot of difference, cool blocks are harden steel stock blocks work just fine. And if you use a small blade, stock is even better. Here is was thinking I would have to change them out right away.... maybe not.

Thanks for your post.... it was a great way to start my day here at work.

Aaron Heck
04-07-2005, 1:51 PM
The Grizzly G0555 seems to great pretty high marks and its relztively inexpensive.

Charlie Plesums
04-07-2005, 2:35 PM
I upgraded from the Jet 14 inch to the Grizzly G0555. Many of the castings are the same, but the Grizzly has better dust collection, tension release, roller guides (that made the Carter guides come off my wish list), and other standard features not on the Jet.

I still feel a little guilty about the friend that saw the almost new Jet in my shop and said "if you ever want to sell..." and a week later I had the Grizzly.

Doug Shepard
04-07-2005, 2:43 PM
how about this one for resawing small stuff ;)

just having fun. You have to admit it is a pretty nice looking saw... not mine though

regards
lou

Lou - his post said he's trying to stay away from 2K machines. That one looks like it weighs more than that.:D

Hal Flynt
04-07-2005, 6:19 PM
I am happy with the 18" Rikon. Less than $1000. comes w/Fence, 2 hp, 2 speed, good big table w/2 miter slots, blade detensioner, Carter style blade guides, cast iron wheels, lots of good stuff. Search Rikon here and see the reviews.

Mike Cutler
04-07-2005, 8:16 PM
Ed. Like Hal I have the Rikon 18". I have been using a Lennox 1" Tri-Master, on the recommendation of Jim Becker, and Mark Singer. I have been very pleased with the results so far. I also have a Lennox 1" Bi-Metal that I tried, the Kerf seems slightly wider and the cut a little more ragged than the Tri- Master, but for a garage hack like me it's a good blade also.
With my Jet I get very good results with the Timberwolf's for all uses except resawing. For some reason I just couldn't get consistent results. The Timberwolf's are highly regarded, and my problems may be an isolated instance, so don't let this one post sway your decision. My best results were obtained with the 1/2" Woodslicer blade from Highland Hardware. I also have an upgraded replacement spring from Iturra on the Jet.
Charlie's info on the Griz' G0555 is worth noting. The Carter upgrade for my Jet was $ 130.00 and the spring was another $15.00, and the factory dust collection is not very good on the Jet.
Of course one more strategy is to buy the Tannewitz from Lou's post for resawing, use the G0514 for bowl blanks,and still get a 14" for the "lite stuff". I mean it's a no lose strategy, as long as were spending your money of course. :D ;)

Tom LaRussa
04-07-2005, 8:23 PM
I may not have been clear with my first post.

I have the Grizzly G0514 19" Heavy-Duty Bandsaw - 2 HP. I am happy with it for resawing even with Grizzly blades. I want to try another "good" blade but don't know what to buy yet. (someone want to offer an opinion here). It takes a 143" blade.

I want a second bandsaw for doing non resaw stuff like making toys and bandsaw boxes.

For your second saw I agree with Charlie -- go with the G0555.

I love mine so much I hardly ever use my table saw anymore.

Ed Lang
04-07-2005, 8:43 PM
Of course one more strategy is to buy the Tannewitz from Lou's post for resawing, use the G0514 for bowl blanks,and still get a 14" for the "lite stuff". I mean it's a no lose strategy, as long as were spending your money of course. :D ;)

ROTFL... You get the picture!!

Now where did I leave the check book so I can order that "LITTLE" bandsaw posted a few back..... Oh yeah... my wife has it..... So much for that idea.

At this time, it looks like the G0555 will be the one. I just might even try to get a new one for under $400 on that auction site.

Might make a nice day trip to go and get the thing too.

Thanks guys.

Tony Shaftel
04-08-2005, 7:19 PM
I've also been thinking about getting a 14" bandsaw to go along with the the 20" one I've had for awhile. My thought is, instead of an older-design cast iron saw with riser block, why not get a steel-frame one like the Grizzly G0570 (or Laguna LT14, General 90-150, etc)? These have around 8" cutting height; anything taller can be cut on the large saw. The frames are reportedly stiffer than the cast iron ones, too, particularly if the latter has a riser installed.

One problem is, fewer people own this type of 14" bandsaw so there is less feedback on them. For instance, I haven't seen a single comment from a G0570 or 90-150 owner. There is good press on the Laguna, though.