PDA

View Full Version : Attempted Hollow form a la Keller

David DeCristoforo
07-06-2012, 9:08 PM
This was inspired by a comment made by a WoW cover team member when commenting on dyed vs "brown and round" turnings. I have looked at David Keller's pieces and similar work by a number of other turners enough to want to try my hand at this kind of form. Not nearly enough air to qualify as "Kellersque" and probably a pretty crude attempt at the form as well. Nonetheless, here is is. 9" in diameter X 8" tall from a hunk of "dunno" burl I found at the local wood dump.

Roger Chandler
07-06-2012, 9:13 PM
Round and brown hollow form-O-rama.........nice to see you working on other things as well as those artistically formed pedestal thingy's you do so well! ;):D

DD, may I ask what hollowing tools you use? Do you have a monster rig?

Bernie Weishapl
07-06-2012, 9:17 PM
DD I like the wood and form. Really a beauty. For dunno wood it sure is pretty.

Faust M. Ruggiero
07-06-2012, 9:59 PM
A nice departure from your normal, DD. You find great stuff in your local wood dump.
faust

Roland Martin
07-06-2012, 10:13 PM
Very nice David, I sure wish we'de have a dump like you have, dang! Definitely an extreme departure for you.

Kathy Marshall
07-07-2012, 1:57 AM
Looks great David! Love the form with the ne opening and very nice curves. Really nice chunk of DDW (dunno dump wood). A nice departure, before you know it you'll be turning air with little chunks of wood in it.

Steve Schlumpf
07-07-2012, 9:54 AM
I like it! Nice size, beautiful form and I really like the NE opening!

Steve bellinger
07-07-2012, 11:16 AM
Great job man, and i can see David Keller doing something like that with this piece of burl.

Michelle Rich
07-07-2012, 11:39 AM
New name? David De Ellsworth? Like the sound of that? :-)

David E Keller
07-07-2012, 4:10 PM
Beautiful work, DD! I'm flattered to be mentioned in the thread with such a pretty piece, but I think it's poor form to mention the work of another and then turn something nicer than they could have made... Sheesh!:o

Great job!

David DeCristoforo
07-07-2012, 4:29 PM
Thanx for the comments.

"I think it's poor form to mention he work of another and then turn something nicer than they could have made..."

You might be right about that. But I have been looking at your work and you totally have this form down. Your pieces always have that elusive "sweet curve" even when there is just barely enough wood left to convey the form! So I may be guilty of "poor form" but you, my friend, are not! When I posted this on WoW, I mentioned that it was inspired by a comment that was made by one of the cover admins. But that was just the bit about dying everything. The form itself is something I have been wanting to try for a while now and, although I have looked at many examples, yours are standout.

Russell Eaton
07-08-2012, 9:00 AM
David, I think you did a great job on this piece. The natural edge is a great touch.

David DeCristoforo
07-09-2012, 12:45 PM
A guy on WoW has given me a pretty positive ID on this "mystery burl" which I posted a pic of here:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?187514-Another-wood-dump-score-(Cutting-advice-)&highlight=

He identified it as honey locust with a mistletoe burl growing on it. Makes perfect sense because there's tons of honey locust growing around here and most of the trees are so infested with mistletoe that they stay green in winter...

Mark Levitski
07-09-2012, 8:21 PM
Attempted Hollow form

"Attempted" would be the wrong term. Accomplished is more accurate. Nice, I like this, it's my kinda piece. It reminds me of what Mike Jackofsky does.

Billy Tallant
07-10-2012, 12:16 AM
Very nice HF!!!