PDA

View Full Version : which tongue and groove plane?

David Kuzdrall
07-06-2012, 3:12 PM
I would like to have a hand plane to use for tongue and groove cutting primarily for boards destined for the back of case goods, 1/2" to 3/8" thickness.

I dont know that i need to spend a small fortune on a new, high-end one so perhaps a vintage plane is in order...

Is there a consensus on which vintage plane i should be hunting for at the above mentioned thicknesses?

Thx

David Posey
07-06-2012, 3:50 PM
As far as metal planes go, that would be a Stanley 49. There may be other equivalents from other makers. There may also be various sizes of wooden planes that will work. If you go with wooden ones, it's easiest if you get a matched pair. Keep in mind that the tongue does not necessarily have to be centered on the work.

I would give Ed Lebetkin a call and see what he has since you're not that far from Pittsboro. He runs the tool store over the Woodwright's School.

Mark Wyatt
07-06-2012, 5:02 PM
As David says, the Stanley #49 is an excellent and easy to use plane. I believe the Union equivalent (another old maker) is the #41, but it could be the #42. Wooden "match" planes are also usefule for this task, if in good condition. I like the match planes which contain both tongue and groove cutters in one plane; less chance of forgetting a tool somewhere. The Stanley #146 and #147 are other options, but I've not liked the ones I've used.

Ryan Baker
07-06-2012, 8:03 PM
I would also say the Stanley 49. You should be able to find a decent user example on the market for not too much money.

David Kuzdrall
07-08-2012, 9:43 AM
Thanks folks, I will keep my eyes out for the no. 49.