PDA

View Full Version : Moving to Boston - Recommendations Pls

Don Abele
04-06-2005, 9:30 PM
Well, it's been a hectic past 7 months and my transfer orders have finally come through. After only 2 years in Norfolk, VA it's time to move again (this will be move #13 in 18 years :eek: ).

Anyway, as the title says, I'm heading to Boston. I'll be up there in early May looking for a house and then moving sometime in June/July. For those that are in the area, can you please hook me up with the local woodworking places (both tools/hardware suppliers and wood). Also if there is anything in particular that you recommend (or not recommend). This isn't my first time in New England (previously lived in Maine and Connecticut) and I'm really looking forward to being back in the Northeast :) .

When I first got to Virginia I asked the same question and got a lot of great responses and very valuable resources and look forward to hopefully the same thing.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Be well,

Doc

Roger Myers
04-06-2005, 9:37 PM
Well...
WELCOME!!
Depends a little on if you will be in the city, or North, South, or West of it....but,
There is Woodcraft in Woburn Mass, and Newington NH
Rockler in Danvers Mass and Salem NH
Several good plywood specialty yards
Highland Hardwood in Brentwood NH
Northland Forest Products
All Righteous Woods in Rowley for specialty and turning woods
Berkshire in the western part of the state...
the list goes on and on...
also, The Guild of NH Woodworkers (shameless plug here) www.gnhw.org is open to our woodworking friends in adjacent states :)
and, just give me a call...and we'll share a pint and discuss your options..if you are so inclined. You can find my number on the Guild home page....
I live on the NH seacoast and work on the northshore of Mass....

Welcome, and you will love it here!
Roger

Dave Anderson NH
04-07-2005, 4:46 AM
A hearty early welcome to you Doc. We'll be looking forward to you moving into the neighborhood. I'm curious though. What Navy facilities are there left in MA after So Weymouth, the Boston Yard, and Chelsea Naval all closed?

Bruce Overholt
04-07-2005, 6:37 AM
Good Luck Doc, and best of wishes. I'm Born in Boston, and raised in Chelsea. Left for the Military at age 18, and settled here in Lancaster, Pa.
Hope your move goes well.

Bruce

Glenn Clabo
04-07-2005, 7:31 AM
Hey Doc...Didn't know the USS Constitution had an IDC billet.

Don Abele
04-07-2005, 8:40 AM
Guys, thanks for the welcome and the info. Dave, as Glenn pointed out, I'm going to the USS CONSTITUTION at the Charlestown Navy Yard. The yard is now owned and operated by the National Park Service, but the CONSTITUTION is still an active Navy warship and has an all active-duty crew assigned to her (about 60). Yes Glenn, they do have an IDC billet, but it won't be me. I'm going as the Command Master Chief (big change from what I'm doing now).

Glenn, while I'm house hunting in May, it looks like I'll be staying at the BEQ in Newport with a friend that just recently transferred from here to NUWC (Dan Betzold). Maybe work something out to do lunch?

Again, thanks for the info (and warm welcomes).

Be well,

Doc

Carl Eyman
04-07-2005, 8:54 AM
What is an "IDC Billet"? I envy you being stationed aboard Old Ironsides. Everytime I see that ship I get shivers in my spine. What a wonderful reminder of our proud history she is.

Bob Hovde
04-07-2005, 9:11 AM
Great assignment! I retired onboard the Constitution. The crew did a great job of making an old Air Force guy feel special - even got "piped" off the deck at the end of the ceremony. You'll enjoy the Constitution and the Boston area. You might think of living in the NW part of town. Hanscom AFB (in Bedford, between Lexington and Concord) has good facilities.

Bob

Glenn Clabo
04-07-2005, 9:23 AM
Sorry...I live in acronym world. Independant Duty Corpsman. The best of the best...

Glenn Clabo
04-07-2005, 9:33 AM
Glenn, while I'm house hunting in May, it looks like I'll be staying at the BEQ in Newport with a friend that just recently transferred from here to NUWC (Dan Betzold). Maybe work something out to do lunch?
Doc

Master Chief...Lunch is on me...But I'll tell ya what...If I can get you through security I'll give ya a tour of the launcher lab. Of course that will cost the new Command Master Chief (why can't those skimmers just call it a COB?) of the USS Constitution. I'll PM you my NUSC email/phone number.

Joe Judge
04-07-2005, 10:23 AM
Anderson-McQuaid -- lumber yard that also has exotics

Revolutionary woodturners -- turning group, meets at woodcraft in Woburn
http://www.revolutionary-turners.com/

N.E. Luthiers -- Luthiers guild out west near worcester
http://www.newenglandluthiers.org/index.html

I need to check my bookmarks for more.

Woodcraft and Rockler are around, also.

--joe
waltham, ma

Don Abele
04-07-2005, 11:01 AM
Carl, a billet is a job. So it's an IDC job. So what's an IDC? Well, as Glenn said, it stands for Independent Duty Corpsman. I'm basically the equivalent of a Physicians Assistant. The Navy is the only force that has them. We are specialized into different warfare communities. I'm in the submarine force and currently stationed onboard a submarine with over 200 crew members. When we go to sea, I am the only medically trained person onboard. I do everything from routine health care, emergency medicine (including minor surgery), counseling, and even dental - anything related to their health. The independent just means that I practice medicine independent of a doctor. Prior to becoming an IDC I was a combat corpsman with the Marines (served at both Camp Pendleton and Camp LeJeune). So after 18 years in medicine, I'm about to have a major change. As the Command Master Chief, I'll be in a managerial-type position and not be doing health care any longer. Hope that explains it well enough.

Be well,

Doc

Jim Becker
04-07-2005, 11:16 AM
Congratulations on your new assignment, Don. Sometimes a change in focus can be very refreshing and I hope that will be true for you! Best wishes on the move, too...it surely will not be boring!

Paul Regan
04-07-2005, 3:07 PM
Welcome back to New England. The responses so far covered most of the good woodworking stores and wood sources. I would add Boulter Plywood on the Somerville/Charlestown line (about a mile and a half from you new post) carries all kinds of plywood and assorted hardwoods.

Like a lot of Bostonians, I had never been on the Constitution until one of my kids was doing a history report on Charlestown. Then it was off to Bunker Hill, the Old Burial Ground and, of course, Old Ironsides. She loved it and so did I.

Greg Narozniak
04-07-2005, 4:11 PM
I would suggest you buy and wear a New York Yankees hat but that's just me :)

Congrats on the move!

Don Abele
04-07-2005, 5:10 PM
Wow...you guys really are hooking me up...and I will visit all these places. Always nice to scope things out and find what best suits me, and having such a wide selection is nice.

Jim...the change is going to be quiet substantial and I'm looking forward to it. I'm at a point in my career where I need to move away from the technical aspect and get more to into the managerial side. In the military, it's not an option. While medicine is my calling in life and what I love more than anything, I have to move on. And speaking of the move...since the government stictly regulates how much weight they will pay to move, I'll be moving my entire shop myself. When I moved here 2 years ago I had 18,400 pounds of household "stuff". That's almost 5,000 pounds over what I'm allowed, so I ended up paying the government back for it...at a rate of $1.15 a pound :eek: !!! So on this move, I'll move my entire shop myself (I figure it's 5,000 pounds easily). It's gonna be fun :p

Paul, once I get settled in up there, you all are invited for a personal tour.

Greg, I don't think so :D That's a good way to get keel-hauled :eek:

Again, thanks for all the great info guys, I really appreciate it.

Be well,

Doc

Joe Unni
04-07-2005, 8:59 PM
Welcome Don!

Woodworking stuff aside...

The Constitution is walking distance to Boston's North End (little Italy) - the best Italian food this side of the Atlantic!! Also, the Fleet center - same distance.

House hunting - you'd better be sitting when you see the average price of a home.

Anyway - good luck!

-joe

Rich Konopka
04-07-2005, 9:44 PM
Hey Don,

I remember a This Old House episode where they when to the Navy Yard and toured the USS Constitution. Part of the tour was in the workshop. Real Cool !! You have to share some of the details on how they keep that ole beauty in shape.

You are going to love working in the Navy Yard. Take the water Taxi over to the Marriott Long Wharf and you are in Quincy Market. The timing of you moving to Boston could not have been better with the warm weather coming.

Good Luck with the move !!

Remember its Chowda not Chowder.:rolleyes: