PDA

View Full Version : What a $.85 donation can get..

steven c newman
07-06-2012, 9:05 AM
On my way home from work this morning, stop at a Garage Sale. Apparently a Church Group was selling stuff as a fund raiser. Saw this black piece of iron laying on the driveway. Better rescue it before it gets a sunburn. "How much for this old piece of iron?" "How much do you think you can donate?" "All I have is what change is in my pocket, payday still a week away" "Well, donate the change, then"

So, here is what about $.85 can get....236205236206236207Haven't found any "Brand Name" as of yet. Clamp part is about 9-1/2". Any clues as to whom made these??

Matthew N. Masail
07-06-2012, 9:36 AM
go back next week and give them another dollar!

Jim Belair
07-06-2012, 10:11 AM
Not much of a fund raiser for the church.

David Weaver
07-06-2012, 11:43 AM
No clue who made that one, but the ones with the ball joint are useful if everything locks up (if it doesn't, you can wrap something around the ball) and if there are no broken wingnuts or broken casting parts.

Hopefully the jaws are close to grabbing flush along their lengths, a lot of those old vises have jaws that could stand to be lapped so they don't have only a couple of pinch points where they grab the blade.

Brian Kent
07-06-2012, 12:05 PM
Is that a saw vise?

Todd Burch
07-06-2012, 12:12 PM
Nice looking lawnmower you got there for 85 cents! But, there's this blurry things in each picture, blocking our view. You REALLY need to work on your photography skills!

Congrats!

Jim Koepke
07-06-2012, 1:18 PM
No idea who made it. Mine is very similar. Both seem to be knock offs of a Disston model.

Good score. I am kind of in agreement with Matthew in that my first thought was you could go back sometime and donate a little more.

Just a thought on a nice score.

jtk

steven c newman
07-07-2012, 2:18 PM
Rather than help one of their kids buy a car (???) I made the donation TO the church group. Got de-greasing, de-rusting, and general clean-up yesterday. About 75% of the japanning is intact. The bolt that holds the ball socket together has a six-pointed star head to it. ALL threads are still in great shape. Lapped the vise area as well. Starting to look a lot better. Should I leave the "paint" alone, or repaint to keep the rust bunnies at bay????

Jim Koepke
07-08-2012, 11:13 AM
Should I leave the "paint" alone, or repaint to keep the rust bunnies at bay????

That is up to you. I do not like painting much, but do it to some tools.

jtk

David Weaver
07-08-2012, 11:30 AM
Rather than help one of their kids buy a car (???) I made the donation TO the church group. Got de-greasing, de-rusting, and general clean-up yesterday. About 75% of the japanning is intact. The bolt that holds the ball socket together has a six-pointed star head to it. ALL threads are still in great shape. Lapped the vise area as well. Starting to look a lot better. Should I leave the "paint" alone, or repaint to keep the rust bunnies at bay????

Leave the japanning alone. covering the thing with paint that will chip off easier than japanning will just make it look worse in the long run. If you are worried about rust, clean it and put a very light coat of wiped on shellac on it.