PDA

View Full Version : Toggle clamps as assembly table levelers?

Victor Robinson
07-06-2012, 4:10 AM
I built a tilt-top, mobile assembly table. It was from Wood magazine, maybe about 8-10 months ago. The table has pivoting legs that swing down to stabilize it once it has been tilted into the horizontal position. Currently I use basic levelers on the leg bottoms. However, my garage shop is very very VERY uneven and sloped, so having to adjust the levelers is a constant PITA.

I was thinking of replacing the levelers with the Bessey in-line auto-adjust toggle clamps. Pricey at $20 per, but it seems like they would work for this purpose? Would they support the weight? I imagine the whole thing weighs about ~200lbs, plus whatever is placed on it and any downward force I might be applying in using it. *I should note that the levelers aren't intended to lift the locked casters off the ground, but rather simply provide support.

Any other auto-adjust type mechanisms that could give the same result (basically not having to adjust the leveling manually)?

Keith Hankins
07-06-2012, 10:49 AM
That seems like a lot of weight to me on those. Here's a link to a caster place, I've used. While I'm not familiar with the plans you speak of, this might work and they have different capacities.

http://www.servicecaster.com/leveling-casters.php?gclid=CMi6zKOlhbECFWyHtgodvkPELQ

glenn bradley
07-06-2012, 11:07 AM
Bessey states that they can clamp with up to 550 lbs of pressure so static weight is probably OK, The side to side torque could be your undoing. Although they would engage at a given pressure point, I don't know that this will magically level your subject ;-) I say go low-tech; wedges.