PDA

View Full Version : LN Chisel Mini-Gloat

John Weber
04-06-2005, 9:20 PM
I’ve had some LN Chisels for several weeks, well today they arrived. I only ordered 4 as a have a fair Marples 1/8” that I don’t use it a ton, but I wanted a nice basic set. I also have some other beaters, so these will be mostly for finer work. First impressions are they are light, much more so then you might think. They are also shorter then my other chisels. That said they feel wonderful in the hand, I think control will be excellent, and the hornbeam handle is said to really take mallets hits with no problems. There is lots of A2 steel and plenty of beef. The initial hone was nice out of the box, later I’ll give them the full sharpening treatment. While not cheap, they feel very good and seem on par with other more expensive chisels – although I’m upgrading from lower end chisels. I think this set will serve me well, and I might like to add a pair of mortise chisels down the road. Thanks for looking, even Miliunas.

John

http://www.weberwoodworking.com/planes/lnchisels.jpg

Roy Wall
04-06-2005, 9:29 PM
Those look very elegant John....

All reviews indicate they are great chisels........as many SMC'ers have testified to this!!!

Good luck with them and use them well!:cool:

John Weber
04-06-2005, 10:03 PM
Roy,

Thanks, I think I will really enjoy them as well. While I tend to "collect" planes, chisels and saws don't really do it for me, so a few good users will be all I should "need". But for the next plane...

John

Dennis McDonaugh
04-06-2005, 10:28 PM
John, what sizes did you order? I had some on back order and I received a 1/8 last week.

Mark Singer
04-06-2005, 10:55 PM
John'

I think you will really like these....I have these and enjoy using them:)

John Weber
04-06-2005, 11:03 PM
Thanks guys, I ordered the 3/4, 1/2, 3/8, 1/4. I think the 6 weeks back order was close. It seems like I ordered them the end of February.

John

John Miliunas
04-06-2005, 11:23 PM
Hey, those look kinda' familiar!:) Congrats. I think you'll enjoy them. Just don't let them sit idle in one of your drawers. A lot of machine-made cuts need a little cleaning up from time to time too, you know!:) :cool:

Mark Singer
04-06-2005, 11:35 PM
John'

You will find them handy for removing wood....if sharp they are good for slicing and dicing...and if you call righ now....

John Weber
04-06-2005, 11:40 PM
Metal too. I did a little repair the other day and had a 23 ga pin blow out. My freshly honed Marples made a quick fix, but trashed the edge. Sometimes you just gotta do what ya gotta do.

John

Mark Singer
04-06-2005, 11:50 PM
Plastics...."One word John...Plastics"...said Mr. Robinson
Metal too. I did a little repair the other day and had a 23 ga pin blow out. My freshly honed Marples made a quick fix, but trashed the edge. Sometimes you just gotta do what ya gotta do.

John