PDA

View Full Version : Is it normal for my bandsaw tire to move when adjusting tracking?

Tim Reagan
07-06-2012, 1:33 AM
I was trying to adjust my Grizzly 0513p to have minimal blade drift when I noticed the tire spun irregularly. I was then doing some cutting and the blade started to wobble, and as I turned it off to check it out, the tire came off and got stuck in the blade guides and got 2 large cuts in it. The tension was on the higher side at 7/9 (on the scale) since I was having trouble with my cuts as noted in a previous thread http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?186443-bandsaw-blunder-w-pics. So I will be reordering new tires from Grizzly tomorrow, but was wondering what I did wrong. Should I have reduced the tension before adjusting the blade tracking? I'm having quite a time getting comfortable with this bandsaw thing.
Thanks bandsaw experts.

Van Huskey
07-06-2012, 1:47 AM
No they should not move, ever. I have seen quite a few accounts of Grizzly tires getting loose before they should. I suggest getting a set from http://shop.sgtool.com/ if they don't list your saw CALL them they can make any size you need or direct you to the correct "stock" size..

Randy Henry
07-06-2012, 12:05 PM
My 4 month old 513X2BF just did the same thing. I called Grizzly, and they are taking care of it. They are sending me new upgraded urethane tires. They told me I wouldn't need to use contact cement to install those, but I'm thinking I may anyway. I had a Grizzly 555 bandsaw for 8 years, and never had a tire come off. But, to Grizzly's credit, they are standing behind it.

Howard Acheson
07-06-2012, 12:11 PM
Your tire is telling you that it's time for a replacement. Replace both tires. Rubber tires have a definite life while urethane tires last "forever".

Tim Reagan
07-06-2012, 1:19 PM
Thanks for the ideas. My saw is only about 1 year old. will call grizzly first, then try tires that van recommends if they are no help.

Tim Reagan
07-06-2012, 1:43 PM
Just got off the phone with Grizzly, they said that it is a wear item and since I am 1 month out of warranty they cannot help me. A little dissappointed because my saw probably only has 40 bf run through it in the last year. I also wouldnt think a tire as a wear item would need to be changed annually.

Van Huskey
07-06-2012, 3:38 PM
They are indeed wear items and one shouldn't have the problem with low usage, even in 3 years (or more) BUT they can't know if you are "driving the tires 1,000 miles or 100,000 miles" in a year. Get a set of urethane tire from what ever source you like and your will be fine for quite a while.

Rod Sheridan
07-06-2012, 8:17 PM
They are indeed wear items and one shouldn't have the problem with low usage, even in 3 years (or more) BUT they can't know if you are "driving the tires 1,000 miles or 100,000 miles" in a year. Get a set of urethane tire from what ever source you like and your will be fine for quite a while.

Good advice, and don't glue them on, they'll be tight enough on their own................Rod.

Howard Acheson
07-07-2012, 10:58 AM
>>>> They are indeed wear items and one shouldn't have the problem with low usage,

The problem frequently is that the saws were shipped by boat in containers. The containers get very hot particularly if they are stored on shore for an extended period. Rubber rapidly loses its elasticity under constant heat. When the saw gets to the customer, the rubber may have seriously deteriorated.

Keith Hankins
07-08-2012, 10:10 AM
I've had my 17" HD for 6 years now and only changed the tires once due to cracking. They should not move ever. Using cement is generally for pure rubber tires which I have on a 1934 14" Delta BS. The Urathane tires should be undersized and you boil them. They will stretch at that point and you have to get them on pretty quick. Once done they will not move. The rubber tires you have to put on with cement and they are flat. You will need to crown those and there are numerous articles on making jigs to do it right. Sounds like defective tires, but hey stuff happens it's a tiwanese tool so to be expected.

Van Huskey
07-08-2012, 12:07 PM
Just a note, I am sure Keith didn't mean you actually boil the uretahane tires, you soak them in hot water for 10-15 minuts but not boiling water.

Also even if they are rubber tires they will not have to be crowned. The only rubber tires you have to crown are the thick heavy ones usually found on old US iron. The Euro bandsaws also have thick rubber tires but they are designed to be flat. These Taiwanese machines use a very thin urethane or rubber tire designed to conform and transmit the crown present in the WHEEL.