PDA

View Full Version : Steve's Styli Reminded Me!

James Combs
07-05-2012, 10:33 PM
Tried my hand at a few stylus' a couple weeks back but never got a round to posting them. I tried two different versions of the stylus tip. My son uses an Ipod and I had asked him to evaluate the two for me then I forgot about them.

All but one are PSI kits. The second from the left is a standard slimline with a stylus adapter from Wood-n-Whimsies. My son's choice is the PSI tip which can also be purchased separately and fitted to a slimline. He said it was slightly firmer and slightly smaller which help in navigating the screen. Either adapter can be fitted to any pen that uses a 7mm tube or simply to any length of 7mm tube to make just a stylus. Take a slimline kit and put the finial on one end of a tube with a turned blank and the adapter on the other end and you have something that looks similar to the last stylus in the picture but without the telescoping pen. All but the acrylic is finished in 10 coats of CA then a coat of RenWax.

This just shows the various configurations of the PSI telescoping pen/stylus. Excuse all the dust on the mannequin:o, didn't notice it until I developed(for lack of a better term:rolleyes:) the pics.

Kathy Marshall
07-06-2012, 12:55 AM
Nice job James! Those all look great. If I had to pick a favorite, I'd have to go with the 2nd one, I really like the dark wood on that one.

Steve Busey
07-06-2012, 7:41 AM
Those all look great, James! Top notch pics, too. Reminds me I need to adapt my photo tent for pens, my pen pics get kinda washed out.

I saw in the PSI site that they used beading for their pens (they must have copied the idea from you :cool:). I was wondering how that affected the feel when using the stylus end. I've always been a "low embellishment" guy, I guess.

Jim Burr
07-06-2012, 10:57 AM
Great...one more thing to add to the inventory. Those will be selling quickly JD!

Lee Koepke
07-06-2012, 11:01 AM
i made (and sold) 5 of the stylus / pen combos already!!! I have a Christmas order for about a dozen more.

(hobby turned business???? yikes)

Bernie Weishapl
07-06-2012, 12:48 PM
Really nice James. Great job.

James Combs
07-06-2012, 3:17 PM
Those all look great, James! Top notch pics, too. Reminds me I need to adapt my photo tent for pens, my pen pics get kinda washed out.
I saw in the PSI site that they used beading for their pens (they must have copied the idea from you :cool:). I was wondering how that affected the feel when using the stylus end. I've always been a "low embellishment" guy, I guess.
Thanks Steve and thanks for thinking I might have an original thought in my head,:Dbut alas I don't and I probably copied something I saw on the PSI site.;)

I did have the thought though that since these were styluses(or is it styli) the end user might like something that was easy to hold onto and not slide up into their hand as it is being pecked and scrolled on the screen's surface. That is the main reason for the recessed area on the smaller telescoping ones, even if I did copy it.:)

Greg Bolton22
07-10-2012, 7:53 AM
James,

These look great. I recently made a few and already had a return on one of the PSI kits from my mother in law. She has been known to be heavy-handed (and a little bit compulsive) but she tore the tip within 2 months of receiving it. I have discovered that the rubber is much thicker on the Craft Supplies kits and have switched to them exclusively. The Woodcraft tips are similar to the PSI.

Greg

James Combs
07-10-2012, 9:42 PM
James,

These look great. I recently made a few and already had a return on one of the PSI kits from my mother in law. She has been known to be heavy-handed (and a little bit compulsive) but she tore the tip within 2 months of receiving it. I have discovered that the rubber is much thicker on the Craft Supplies kits and have switched to them exclusively. The Woodcraft tips are similar to the PSI.
Greg

Thanks Greg, I will get a sample of those as well before settling on a brand.

Billy Tallant
07-11-2012, 9:14 AM
Nice job on the stylus's. They should sell quickly.