PDA

View Full Version : Trying to get started with new Cobra X3

James & Zelma Litzmann
07-05-2012, 7:55 PM
We have had our machine for 2 weeks and a couple of days, we had to leave town for four or five days, then when we returned I think Camaster was closed for the holidays. We have the power hooked up, the vacuum on the table installed. We know "nothing" about CNC, at all, I have been trying to design the spoilboard in Aspire, not too much fun . . . yet. I have the instructions that was posted on surfacing the spoilboard (THANK YOU!). We did get it to move yesterday, so I know it has life in it, lol. Any help would be much appreciate.

zll

Mick A Martin
07-06-2012, 10:20 AM
I read on CAMheads that Joey is planning an online class to help new owners out. Here is a video from Jim showing the basic setup http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IwkPabnDPk&list=UUsVWvqidvX2bBQkWVKm_hTQ&index=3&feature=plcp and another video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-auqsUAf_Y&feature=youtu.be do you have an specific question that I can help you with.

James & Zelma Litzmann
07-06-2012, 11:41 AM
I saw that . . . I think we are on the list and ready to go for the on line class. We actually got internet hooked up there this morning, and I am so glad, was afraid we were going to be an island but now we connected to rest of the world. No particular questions . . . yet, but I am sure we will, the problem is we don't know enough to know what questions to ask yet. ;-) Thanks Mick for the link, and I am pretty sure you will be hearing from us (hopefully not too much).

zll

Richard Coers
07-06-2012, 1:17 PM
I wondered when you would start making posts like this. I've been reading about your purchase, and can remember where I was 10 years ago. I operate a MotionMaster 5 axis in a model shop for my day job. In my opinion, you have to have someone sitting at your machine for at least 3 days with you. I don't even think classroom studies will help as much as a mentor sitting at your machine. I had two days of training when the machine was installed. That guy was brilliant, but could not teach a beginner. He would tell me what to do so quickly that I could not absorb it, answer his cell phone, and eat candy all at the same time. I worked after instructions for a couple months, but had to get another instructor if I was ever going to make any speed at this thing. The next guy was referred to us from the software supplier. This guy came in for 3 days. He taught me how to get the thing going well. He taught slow enough that it made sense. Learning software and cnc at the same time is REALLY difficult. There are no "to the letter, step by step instructions", because everyone has their own way of working. Finding someone that has operated your machine and software will be the biggest help you can find. It will cost you, but the alternative is countless postings, experiments, and horrible headaches. Good luck!

Perry Holbrook
07-06-2012, 7:29 PM
I agree with Richard. When I bought my machine from CamMaster almost 2 years ago, I bought 2 days of start up instructions. Best money I spent. Actually, I am considering doing it again, now that I have a working knowledge, it's time to kick it up a notch.

Perry

james mcgrew
07-07-2012, 1:56 AM
we are gonna do a Q & a session today to test the system, after i will work with james on runing his machine !! we are gonna make some chips!