PDA

View Full Version : Third time's a charm - back from "the bucket" and ready to party

Steve Busey
07-05-2012, 7:53 PM
After I completed one bucket project, I was drawn back to it again. (Flashback: There was a cherry bowl in there that was dry when I first started it, and had several cracks that moved a bunch as I turned it. Was cleaning up the rim when a catch sent a big chunk of the side airborne. I gave it a quick CA mend and a sneer or two and tossed it in the bucket.)

I pulled it out today, looked at the substantial cracks on the tenon, the rough glue joint, and decided "What the heck"...

Dressed up the glue joint a little better, mounted it up and proceeded to clean it up as best I could, sanded, several coats WTF - looking good!. (Did I mention substantial cracks on the tenon?) Anyway, things went well, so I mounted it in on my Vicmarc Longworth chuck, put it on the shaky Craftsman lathe (don't have the Vicmarc thread adaptor for the Jet yet), held in place with the tailstock, and tried to cut off the tenon. (Did I mention substantial cracks on the tenon?) One little bite and the whole thing dislodged and broke a piece off the rim about the size of a quarter... :mad: The bucket was calling, but I'd come too far to give up again. So I glued the rim chunk back in, cleaned up, refinished, this time JAMchucked onto the Jet, and cleaned up the tenon properly. Third time's a charm. Not a sale grade bowl, but I'd be happy to keep it on my shelf, er, in my gallery. :cool:

Now if I can just complete a bowl from scratch, I can have something to sell!

Ed Morgano
07-05-2012, 10:25 PM
I like it Steve. I like the form and the "minor" imperfections. You're a man after my own heart. I hate to throw anything away and have gone this route several times. Nice save.

Steve Busey
07-06-2012, 2:11 PM
Thanks Ed - it keeps growing on me.

Was wondering if anyone had feedback on the "pedestal"?

Tim Rinehart
07-06-2012, 2:18 PM
Thanks Ed - it keeps growing on me.

Was wondering if anyone had feedback on the "pedestal"?

Steve, it's a bit higher than most of us expect to see, but I kinda like it. I'd like to see a bit more flare/curve in the side of the pedestal, but other than that, it's kinda cool. I like pedestals...but tend to conform more to the masses and go without or very minimal on pedestals for a bowl.

Good experimenting with the shapes, and another save for you! Just be sure to have a decent faceshield and watch out for those flying fragments while turning!:eek:

Steve Busey
07-06-2012, 7:05 PM
I'd like to see a bit more flare/curve in the side of the pedestal, but other than that, it's kinda cool. I like pedestals...
...to have a decent faceshield and watch out for those flying fragments while turning!:eek:

Thanks Tim. I wasn't feeling comfortable squeezing into that pedestal curve, so that's about all I could do with it, short of cutting it off completely. The last part of your warning was forefront in my mind as I made that decision!