PDA

View Full Version : Replacement wood for fir Rosettes ?

Mike Mc Namara
07-05-2012, 5:35 PM
I need to replicate some pine or fir rosettes, for window and door trim in a 1902, four square. I Had a custom knife, ground for a rosette cutter, but am having trouble with the thin lip on the cupped portion breaking off when using clear pine. I have made them successfully out of red oak, and some straight grain hickory using the knife and cutter.
Is the pine just too soft to machine? Is there another type of wood that I could use in place of the pine? (Stain grade millwork)
Any suggestions would be appreciated, Thanks

James Conrad
07-05-2012, 5:54 PM
Poplar or soft maple. If you can salvage any of the old trim material you could try that or find some at a salvage shop.

Sam Murdoch
07-05-2012, 6:24 PM
I know that you have had a custom cutter made is that because you could not find ready made ones on line with the matching profile? One example http://www.woodsworksqh.com/servlet/the-156/wood-rosette-pine-door/Detail.

Are you using a drill press? Have you experimented with the speeds? If you aren't adding color but just clear coating to match an old clear finish, I can't imagine that you would be satisfied using other woods. but perhaps some select hard yellow pine might work easier. Too many variables to give a concise answer. Sorry for not being much help.

Andrew Hughes
07-05-2012, 6:30 PM
How about some thin cyanoacetate glue on the problem area? I have use it to stiffin the fibers on basswood carvings.I think woodturners use it on punky woods also.Hope this helps.