PDA

View Full Version : My first tote!

Matthew N. Masail
07-05-2012, 5:18 PM

George, I hope you like it. I'm pretty happy with it especially considering it's a first. I did a 45 degree at the front so it pretty much locks itself in place, but it is glued. I need to learn how to do mortices.

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
07-05-2012, 6:30 PM
Nice work, Matthew. I think it looks great. The only thing I'd change would be to round over the handle a bit more - my most favorite totes are more ovoid in cross section, but that's probably just a personal preference, and certainly, it looks great. I've always been a fan of that type of closed-tote shape.

george wilson
07-05-2012, 7:35 PM
I'd round the back of the handle also. I also suggest making the ogee on the front of the handle a bit larger. Not a bad handle as is,though.

Matthew N. Masail
07-06-2012, 3:54 AM
which part is the ogee?

george wilson
07-06-2012, 8:36 AM
The double curved front of the handle is the ogee. It is the "S" shaped curve.

The most important thing,though,is to put more curve into the back of the handle. You could do this even though the handle is glued in.

Matthew N. Masail
07-06-2012, 9:35 AM
I'll probably see how it feels in use, so far it seems very comfortable, I test held it many times while shaping to get it to fit me, but only time will tell.

Kenneth Speed
07-07-2012, 9:48 AM
Matthew commented, "I'll probably see how it feels in use, so far it seems very comfortable, I test held it many times while shaping to get it to fit me, but only time will tell."

ABSOLUTELY the right way to proceed! You made this tool for yourself. If you're happy with it and the tote fits your hand then you're successful! George would do it a bit differently as would I probably because we're more used to seeing the slightly more sculpted shape common to steel plane totes. Good job!

george wilson
07-07-2012, 12:32 PM
Matthew has already done a very good job of working with the designs I gave him,and is to be congratulated on his progress. Corrections I offered were only relatively slight to perfect the design.