PDA

View Full Version : Woodturning publications question.

Bill Wyko
07-05-2012, 4:27 PM
I was wondering which woodturning publication do you feel you get the best info from. I.e. techniques, tool reviews, turners projects, advertisements etc.

charlie knighton
07-05-2012, 4:39 PM
i have got some real good info from the handout books from the different symposiums, next one i plan to attend is Virginia Woodturners Symposium in september

http://www.virginiawoodturners.com/symposium/symposium_info_home.htm

Sid Matheny
07-05-2012, 4:48 PM
The only turning mag I subcribe to is Woodturning Design. But I have to say I'm not really happy with it at times.

Sid

Jeff Myroup
07-05-2012, 5:10 PM
I have to agree with Sid. The AAW mag tends to disappoint me a lot too.

Jim Burr
07-05-2012, 5:11 PM
Woodturning Design...guess because I entered a Facebook Contest and won a Raffin DVD!

Michelle Rich
07-05-2012, 7:23 PM
I find the woodturning mags below par. And the woodworking super mags , like Fine Woodworking, don't have enough turning. I think that we have few good choices.

James Roberts
07-05-2012, 8:06 PM
I get both the AAW's "American Woodturner" and "Woodturning Design". Since I consider myself a perennial beginner, I find something useful in each one but I wish there weren't as many advertisements. The trade off for that would be higher subscription rates which is why I don't have a subscription to the woodturning mag from across the pond.

Faust M. Ruggiero
07-05-2012, 8:08 PM
I currently receive Woodturning Design. I won't renew when it is time. I find it too "crafty." I belong to AAW and reive the magazine. I like it and read it but in all truthfulness, I get my woodturning fixes from DVDs and well written books.

willis martin
07-05-2012, 9:30 PM
I take woodturning design and aaw mag Both at times seem to be slanted toward the artsy end (so to speak) but both have some good articles and info.I agree with the too many ads.But for one I'm willing to pay more for less ads.Willis

Wally Dickerman
07-05-2012, 9:58 PM
AAW journal, Woodturning design and The British mag Woodturning are all good.

I find that there are always criticisms of all the magazines. There is such a wide range of skill levels and types of turning that no publication can satisfy everyone. Bill, as a segmenter, you won't find much in your field in any of them. They have to do the best they can for the majority of turners. I think that all three of my suggestions do a good job of trying.

philip labre
07-05-2012, 10:07 PM
I subscribe to the AAW, Woodturning Design and Woodturning on my Ipad (much more affordable). Woodturning will probably provide the closest to what you are looking for and they provide a free trial issue on Ipad. None are ideal, but I find something of interest and learn something new in each.

Alan Trout
07-05-2012, 10:19 PM
I find them all good and enjoyable. Not every issue of any are what turns me on, but I can appreciate the content of most issues. I still like to read magazines in my hands. Just has a feel to it that I don't get online. I get Woodturning online mostly because of cost but in print it is really nice and big physical size magazine.

Alan

Harry Robinette
07-05-2012, 10:25 PM
I get the AAW, Woodturning,and Woodturning Design between the three I think I get a well rounded (no pun) bunch of info. But likes been said NONE are really good magazines.

David DeCristoforo
07-05-2012, 10:31 PM
"...NONE are really good magazines."

This is a question that has been posed before. After reading the answers this time around I'm thinking a better question might be "What would be a "really good" woodturning magazine?" The publishers just might be interested in knowing...

Harvey M. Taylor
07-06-2012, 3:01 AM
Think what you will, but I have learned more from you guys here on this and other forums than any of the magazines I buy. As a perk for belonging to AAW I get their mag, which is pretty good as an all-around publication, but I say shamelessly, you guys are the best, and I dont even have to pay for your advice/ instruction/ opinions.

'I am unstoppable, if I could only get started.' Max

Bernie Weishapl
07-06-2012, 12:53 PM
AAW woodturning and woodturning design.

Scott Hackler
07-06-2012, 1:41 PM
The AAW Journal and Woodturning Design for me.

I like the AAW Journal for the higher end gallery pieces and exposes' on the top notch turners.

I like Woodturnig Design for the tips (seeing how others turn various things) and insider articles about various suppliers...oh and because of the appearance of my articles!

dean griffith
07-06-2012, 5:08 PM
I agree with Harvey, I have learned more from this forum than all magazines combined. Best of all it is right at your fingertips if you need to go back and look up anthing you saw on here before!