PDA

View Full Version : Need ideas for shameless pandering Pens

Roger Feeley
07-05-2012, 9:51 AM
I saw an ad in Wood magazine for the bolt action pen kit. My immediate thought was for my daughters boyfriend who speaks before a wide variety of groups, one being the NRA. I thought to myself, "Boy, I bet those guys would eat it up if he showed up there with one of those pens." Before anybody flames me, I am fully aware that people don't form opinions based solely on such things.

Then I wondered if it would be possible to put together a whole portfolio of pens that would similarly pander to various interest groups. But after the NRA gag, I am coming up mostly empty.

My second idea would be the rainbow colors of the LGBT organization that would be a fairly simple lamination.
A bright American flag for the Tea Party.

It would be fun to simulate elephant and donkey hides for the Democrats and Republicans (ivory?) but those aren't obvious.

To be a good gift, I would need about 5 pens covering a variety of interest groups. The wider the variety, the better (hence the NRA and LGBT).

He talks to a lot of lawyers groups, conservative groups and libertarians. He is a member of the Supreme Court Bar and has filed many briefs but never argued a case there. He's a pretty bright guy. He speaks every romance language and most of the Slavic ones.

Since I am free-associating here, no ideas are stupid. Maybe an unworkable idea will lead to something better. I do place one limitation. I refuse to be mean spirited.

Many thanks in advance to all.

Lee Koepke
07-05-2012, 10:20 AM
Well, If you are into casting pens, you have a good variety of options, from fishermen to sports ticket stubs to shredded money, if you stick to wood, then I will share what I am doing..... I have a lady that brought me several pieces of wood from her grandfathers barn and I am making Christmas presents for her to give to various family members.

If you have access to (legally acquire) something of significance to a group, you may have the potential to create a common sentimental bond.

Michelle Rich
07-05-2012, 10:44 AM
Have you been to the international pen turner's site? they have tons of ideas there

Scott Lux
07-05-2012, 11:28 AM
I'm just getting into waterslide decals on pens. Using those, you can make a custom label for anything.

Jim Burr
07-05-2012, 12:54 PM
I'm just getting into waterslide decals on pens. Using those, you can make a custom label for anything.

I photocopy all sorts of stuff on decal paper (I use Testors) and slide it right on. Needs about 20 coats of CA to cover the edges, but it works well.
You can literally cast almost anything...assuming you paint your tube the correct color and pop those out. I'm not fond of the bolt pens, but you can make them from almost any centerfire cartridge out there...50 cal is a little big, but they are everywhere.

Jim Rimmer
07-05-2012, 12:58 PM
Well, If you are into casting pens, you have a good variety of options, from fishermen to sports ticket stubs to shredded money, if you stick to wood, then I will share what I am doing..... I have a lady that brought me several pieces of wood from her grandfathers barn and I am making Christmas presents for her to give to various family members.

If you have access to (legally acquire) something of significance to a group, you may have the potential to create a common sentimental bond.
Lure shaped pens (minus hooks)
baseball bat pens
cane pole pens
gavel pens (for judges)
lathe tool pens