PDA

View Full Version : New Door Installation

Thomas Marr
07-05-2012, 9:01 AM
I have some exterior doors that have leaked from day one. Builder's grade doors that were installed incorrectly (e.g., no flashing, etc...) They're 12 years old now and I've finally decided to replace them. I have one French door with a transom, one "regular" french door, and a 3' entry door. My first quote is $12,300 for all three doors installed. These are Andersen 400 series, standard sizes. Nothing special. To me, this is outrageously expense. Does this seem even remotely reasonable?

The only good news...I can probably reuse one of the old french doors in my shop. For a while, I've thought about building a "deck" outside my shop. When the weather's nice, I prefer to work outside. It also keeps the dust down in the shop.

Rich Engelhardt
07-05-2012, 9:09 AM
My first quote is $12,300 for all three doors installed. These are Andersen 400 series, standard sizes. Nothing special. To me, this is outrageously expense. Does this seem even remotely reasonable?

Yes/no.

Lead paint abatement laws have driven installation prices to insane levels.

Was the house built prior to 1978?

Here's the EPA warning :
"EPA Lead Certification (http://www.leadcertificationohio.com/lead-certification-courses/) is required for any renovation that disturbs more than 6 square feet of interior or 20 square feet of exterior lead paint in residential or child-occupied facilities built before 1978. Failure to comply puts you at risk to be fined by the EPA & Local Government."

The fines for not doing so can run $37,500.00 per day of non compliance.

Thomas Marr
07-05-2012, 9:52 AM
Was the house built prior to 1978?

No, house was built in 2000.

Jason Roehl
07-05-2012, 9:53 AM
I suspect a few factors based on what you described. First, Rich is right, the EPA's RRP rule has added to cost (it's NOT considered abatement). Second, I don't know what Anderson 400 series doors cost, but off-hand, that sounds like $9-10k worth of doors, without labor, overhead or profit. That said, were I to install two doors that take the same amount of time to install, and one costs $500 and the other $5000, I'm going to charge more to install the $5000 door because my potential for loss is much greater.

I'd get more bids. Spec the same doors with contractors referred to you by people you trust. Retailers who also provide installation, in my experience, often have some pretty high mark-ups on the product and don't pay their installers much or retain quality installers.

Rich Engelhardt
07-05-2012, 10:48 AM
EPA's RRP rule has added to cost (it's NOT considered abatement).
True - excuse the slip.

house was built in 2000.
I'd get more prices then.
Unlike interior doors, exterior doors have a ton of "gotcha's" when it comes to the install.

Jason Roehl
07-05-2012, 11:10 AM
Duly excused! Still a dumb rule either way for various reasons.

Lee Schierer
07-05-2012, 12:12 PM
To properly install an exterior door, where you've had leaking problems, you'll need to remove a portion of the siding to properly flash and seal the new door. Plus there is a good chance you'll have to replace a portion of the sill and sub-floor. I replaced and exterior door on the south side of my house that was about 20 years old with no apparent leaks and still had to replace a portion of the floor right next to the door sill. I used some door flashing tape all around the opening, sealant on the sill under the door threshold and then used a minimal expanding foam to seal from inside all around the door before I finished the trim. Once the door was installed, I rehung all the old siding. With a friend helping it took me about 3-4 hours to remove and install the door, not counting the interior trim work. I don't do that for a living.

I also recommend getting several estimates. But be sure to check the references and if possible go see the actual work.

Larry Edgerton
07-05-2012, 7:25 PM
I seriously suggest that you look at other doors. I am not all all happy with Anderson in the last ten years or so. They are building junk in my opinion and are not standing behind them. The 400 series is a cheaper line of junk within Anderson.

In standard sizes Marvin is a little cheaper than Anderson and twice the product. Its what I put in my new house.

As far as the price, I don't know what costs are in your area, so it would be hard for me to say, but in my neighborhood with 400 series it would be high.

Avoid the box store installers. Around here it is unlicenced hacks working under some failed contractors licence who does absolutely no supervision. They basically hire kids off of the street.

Larry