PDA

View Full Version : Lost Wally's book!

Greg Urwiller
07-04-2012, 10:19 PM
I've got an old Dewalt MBF RAS that I picked up last year, sitting here ready to be tuned up and put back in use. I ordered Wally Kunkel's book last winter to help me retune it. Well, I hadn't gotten around to building his table, but I wanted to use it, so I just threw on a 1 1/4" pc of particle board that I had. Figured it would work for now till I got his built. So today I went to level the table. And of course I can't find his book anywhere! Unfortunately I think it's gone for good. So, how do level the table? If I remember right, take the blade off, rotate the motor so the shaft is down, then lower the motor down to just above the table right? Then swing the arm, moving the motor in and out, and use feeler gauges to adjust the table up or down as needed to level? This sound right? Thanks. Greg

Charlie Velasquez
07-04-2012, 11:43 PM
Yes, that's it. Here is my routine
First remove the fence and the backboards
1. Loosen the bolts on the table rails and set all to lowest possible
2. Find the higher of the two front corners (closer to the operator, not the fence). This is where you will start. If it was not the highest of the four corners you will need to adjust it slightly up till it is. tighten snug, but not tight.
3. Place your rotated motor directly over that bolt that attaches the table rail to the base
4. Lower your motor to an easily measured height above the table. I now use a dial indicator attached to my motor. I used to use a high quality 3/8" bit. These are made to very rigid tolerances. I lower till i can just feel the electrons repel as I roll it under the arbor... Ok, i can just feel it touch as it rolls under.
5. Using just your palm on the arm, swing it over to the same bolt on the opposite side (front right, then go to front left...)
6. Adjust that rail point. To exert greater control, i use a stack of shims to slowly raise the table. *You should now have the front two bolts and table points in the same plane, or really close.
7. Swing the arm and slide motor arbor directly over one of the rails as close as you can to the end of the table by the fence. *Adjust that corner.
8. *Go to the last corner
*9. *Check everything again

The first iteration usually gets me within . 030"*
The second iteration *I can usually get *<.010
Last Saturday,**as I replaced the table on my BIL's 7740, we got <.002.

The dial indicator gives you a running commentary of how flat your table is. *If you haven't made your dead flat table yet, there is really no need to try to get this close.

Not sure why the asterisks showed up..??