PDA

View Full Version : DVR/PVR Advice needed.

Raymond Fries
07-04-2012, 8:59 PM
We have comcast digital cable. We have the basic package and not interested in the monthly fee so we can record from their service. Our TV and DVD/VCR recorder are starting to go. We are looking to replace them both. Can anyone suggest a DVR or PVR that will connect to a comcast coax line. Seems like everything is networked based and having trouble finding specifications that meet what I am looking for.

Thanks

Eduard Nemirovsky
07-04-2012, 9:52 PM
I afraid you will not be able to record to DVR any show from Comcast or the like (Verizon). All signal coming to your TV box is encrypted. You will be able to record from TV set on DVD or VCR, but only after signal processed after TV box, it means no scheduling recording will be available. It is what I know.
But you may rent from Comcast the DVR device ( it is about $10-16 per month)
Ed.

Steve Meliza
07-04-2012, 11:37 PM
I think he's talking about the basic service where you don't have a box from the cable company, so it's not encrypted. You basically need a VCR but with a digital tuner and hard drive instead of VHS tapes.

I'm in a similar position in that I's like to be able to record shows that are on late at night and watch them earlier in the evening as we have to get up at 4-5am. I'll be following this thread with interest since it's something that has bugged me since I banished the VCR to the attic.

Brian Elfert
07-04-2012, 11:38 PM
If you wan to use the guide on a DVR you will need to pay someone for the guide service. Tivo DVRs might still be able to change channels on a cable box.

If you rent the Comcast HD DVR they don't charge you the $7 a month for HD TV. That might be a consideration for you. I was paying ReplayTV $10 a month for the guide service so the $16 I pay Comcast for the DVR rental is about the same when you factor in the $7 HD fee.

Randal Stevenson
07-05-2012, 12:00 AM
I think he's talking about the basic service where you don't have a box from the cable company, so it's not encrypted. You basically need a VCR but with a digital tuner and hard drive instead of VHS tapes.

I'm in a similar position in that I's like to be able to record shows that are on late at night and watch them earlier in the evening as we have to get up at 4-5am. I'll be following this thread with interest since it's something that has bugged me since I banished the VCR to the attic.

As of July 19th, at least in my area, Comcast encrypts ALL tv signals (this includes basic from 2-22 which is all I had, only because it was $1 cheaper that way, then cablemodem only). His area may or may not be different (this was a rollout they talked about a few years ago).

You can get UP to three decrypter boxes for free. (but I am not going into my issues with those)

Jim Matthews
07-05-2012, 8:39 AM
Here's an alternative - internet streaming.

I just purchased a Sony Blu-Ray player that also allows internet streaming (no fees associated with the device).
I logged onto Netflix and can watch lots of their cloud-stored content. There is are DVR type controls, but no storage space.

If you don't need the disc player, try the Roku (http://www.roku.com/) - which has excellent picture quality and is dead simple to operate.
The catch is that you need a fast internet provider, and if that's Comcast - expect them to curb your usage some day.

FYI - I have DirecTV that is on "Vacation" until the next hockey season.
When I can get my wife's beloved NJ Devils by streaming - the DirecTV goes.
300 channels - 250 of which are pure crap!

Brian Elfert
07-05-2012, 8:55 AM
As of July 19th, at least in my area, Comcast encrypts ALL tv signals (this includes basic from 2-22 which is all I had, only because it was $1 cheaper that way, then cablemodem only). His area may or may not be different (this was a rollout they talked about a few years ago).

Interesting that Comcast is going digital with basic service in your area. Comcast went digital here almost exactly two years ago, but they left basic service as analog cable. Comcast is not encrypting the cable. They are converting to fully digital cable instead of the old analog cable. The main reason is they can deliver a lot more channels especially HD over the same cable. A bonus for Comcast is one can no longer steal cable as the digital boxes won't work without authorization from Comcast. Comcast greatly increased the number of HD channels in my area shortly after they went digital.

Randal Stevenson
07-06-2012, 10:20 AM
I was off on the date. June 19th not July. (already happened)

Two years ago, they did the digital switch, like yours, this was the final switch.

Greg Portland
07-06-2012, 1:35 PM
Any home computer + a TV tuner card that has a cable card slot will allow you to view Comcast broadcasts (including all subscribed premium channels). Tivo is another option but there is a monthly fee for the Tivo guide service.

All cable TV companies are required by law to provide cable cards (at a reasonable cost) to their customers. My monthly cost is $2 per card.

Both options also have an ATSC tuner for viewing over-the-air (OTA) broadcasts.