PDA

View Full Version : Wood Combination Lock

Tony Byrom
07-04-2012, 6:32 PM
I am a junior high technology/shop teacher. I am working on getting some new projects ready for next year. One of these projects is the combination lock. My engraver is small so I can only cut through thin material. I would like to know what you guys think and if you know of some other projects that I can use my engraver for.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAanjkxpmxU

Rich Harman
07-04-2012, 8:38 PM
Very nice!

I would use a notch length about two to three times as long as what you are using. It will significantly cut down the time to cut it out.

Making the slots in the discs wider will make the combination less sensitive - you probably know that already.

Scott Shepherd
07-05-2012, 9:51 AM
That's brilliant Tony! Well done!

On the sensitivity issue, could you but a little lead in at the front of the slots on the discs to make the bar self align to a small degree, so you can be more precise in the number you dial to, and if it's misaligned a little, the lead in will help pull the disc to the right place? I don't know if it will or not, but it's what came to mind when I saw it.

You mentioned the guys name for that, but I didn't pick it up. Can you tell us his name, so searching for it will be easier to find?

Thanks for sharing!

Rich Harman
07-05-2012, 4:03 PM
His name is Matthias Wandel.

Search YouTube for Matthiaswandel

woodgears (dot) ca