PDA

View Full Version : Shop Noise

Bruce Page
07-04-2012, 5:14 PM
I did a completely unscientific sampling of my shop tools using my iPad and a dbA meter app. All readings were taken from the same location, my bench top, so the distance to the source varies. I didn’t feel like mounting a blade on my MM16 or digging out my PM jointer & 15” planner so I don’t have readings for those.

I didn’t realize that blowing 115 psi air was so loud. I’ll have to start wearing for that too.

Anyway, I found the numbers interesting.

Tool
dbA

Base Level

JDS 2000 Air filter, low

JDS 2000 Air filter, high

Shop stereo, normal level

Shop stereo, cranked

Swamp Cooler

Milling machine, 650 RPM

Engine lathe, 350 RPM

Dust collector (Delta 50-850)

8" bench grinder

Fein T3

26" Woodmaster

Air Compressor

Table saw, blade down

Delta single 12" disk sander

Table saw, blade up

Delta stationary combo sander

Benchdog extension w / PC-7518

Blowing air

Victor Robinson
07-04-2012, 5:56 PM
I've done this for a lot of my tools as well and will post the list to this thread. Many folks like myself have to prioritize noise levels and finding that information for all tools isn't easy.

Couple of quick points that make these lists helpful (and for anyone also wanting to add to Bruce's awesome list), please note the distance the measuring device was from the tool, under load (cutting) vs. no load, and whether your device uses A or C weighting. Most apps/meters have this option, and my understanding is that C weighting more closely matches how the human ear perceives the relationship between pitch and loudness.

Thanks Bruce, I'll add to the list as well if you don't mind. Hopefully this can be a resource for some folks.

Bruce Page
07-04-2012, 6:09 PM
By all means Victor, please do. All of my measurements were under no load conditions. I'll try to do a more controlled sampling when it's not so hot. :cool:

Brian Kent
07-04-2012, 6:26 PM
Thanks for this post. I just downloaded an iPhone ap for a decibel meter. I look forward to measuring my tools.