PDA

View Full Version : Success with Portable AC unit?

Peter Elliott
07-04-2012, 1:38 PM
Has anyone had success with a portable AC unit? Looking to get input on people who actually use one in a wood shop. If so, make - model - btu's, etc.

Window unit/apartment unit can not be used. Mini Split is in the mix but I would like to keep that separate for this question.

Thanks
Peter

Matt Meiser
07-04-2012, 3:57 PM
What size is your shop? How is it constructed? If you've got a 100,000 cuft black steel building with no insulation no way. If you've got an 8000 cuft well insulated shop, maybe.

We picked up the Sharp(?) that Costco sells for my mom and dad. Its doing a mediocre job of keeping their living room, dining room, and kitchen coolish. You have to drain the water from these. For my parents, it was easy for them to drill a small hole in the floor and use some tubing to run it to a drain in the basement. On a slab, more problematic. There's no removable tank, so it would be a pain to dump.

Peter Elliott
07-04-2012, 4:24 PM
Matt, it's only a 20x24 garage shop. Insulated ceiling and walls. Concrete floors and reg garage doors (8ft, x2 of them). I plan on insulating the doors shortly.

I have read that the dual exhaust ones are better. Hoping someone that has one will chime in that is using one in a shop setting.

There is no issue with exhausting it or adding a drip line in my shop.

Joe Leigh
07-04-2012, 6:15 PM
Pete,
I have a 14 x 30 basement shop and I use a 12,000btu portable unit to cool it using only a single exhaust setup. It works great but does require a bit more diligence in keeping the filter and coils clean. I also have to empty the condensate bucket every 4-5 hours of run time but its not a dealbreaker.

Brian Elfert
07-04-2012, 8:08 PM
People who have used various types of air conditioners in the same space report that the portable units with the hoses overstate the BTUs by a good amount.

Jeff Monson
07-06-2012, 8:43 AM
People who have used various types of air conditioners in the same space report that the portable units with the hoses overstate the BTUs by a good amount.

I will agree with that. We have a portable 12k unit with the exhaust hose that we use at our cabin. Although it does work very well, and move easily, I dont think its 12K. It would have a hard time cooling a shop, but a small cabin is different.

Peter Elliott
07-06-2012, 4:45 PM
Thanks Jeff, I plan on going for a 14K unit for my 480sqft shop size. I might be temped to just save a bit more $$ and get a mini split.

Craig Matheny
07-06-2012, 11:26 PM
Thanks Jeff, I plan on going for a 14K unit for my 480sqft shop size. I might be temped to just save a bit more $$ and get a mini split.
Just bought a unit here http://www.thermospace.com/ductless_split/1-ton-mini-split.php great price

Alan Trout
07-07-2012, 8:52 AM
I have a 12000 BTU unit in a 25'X30' shop with 9' ceilings. It is insulated and has two insulated overhead doors. It is a no name brand and I cut a vent that goes out the back wall. I live in south Texas and with the temp outside 100 or lower it keeps the inside at a reasonably comfortable 78 degrees. With it over 100 it stays about 80 degrees. For its size it does a great job. If I had another in the same space I could cool it down quite a bit more. My wife paid last year about $269 for the unit. If you want to get serious about air conditioning a shop a Mini Split is the best way to go. However overall I am very happy with the performance of my portable unit.

Alan