PDA

View Full Version : Epilog 36EXT 45w *Fire damaged*

Mike Browning
07-04-2012, 11:44 AM

Mike Browning
07-04-2012, 12:02 PM

Mike Browning
07-04-2012, 12:09 PM
its a long story and quite a sad one :mad: , A new laser is being ordered but i am sorely tempted to try and salvage this machine as a secondary unit, machine has had retivley light use and is aprox 5 years old.
Engineers say it is beyond economical repair as it may be warped ect.... and it is a project that you will only find out as you go along how feasible it will be, i have removed all panels, the boards and the laser looks intact and the fire damaged seems to be contained within the top 25% of the machine which is probably what will need replacing.
as far as the lid goes it may be easier to buy the full lid unit built and connect all up if its that easy?

FYI it was caused by an acrylic sheet which flamed up.

all your help is appreciated. Europe based here.

Mark Sipes
07-04-2012, 12:11 PM
Fume build up? Too much power? air assist issues ? your thoughts!

Mike Browning
07-04-2012, 12:16 PM
I would say probably Fume build up......

Scott Shepherd
07-04-2012, 1:00 PM
I'd salvage that in a minute. Doesn't look like anything that can't be fixed easily to me. My guess is once you started cleaning it up, you're be surprised how many parts just looked bad, but are actually fine. New belts, cables, hoses, mirrors, etc and you'd be back in business. Maybe a couple electronic pieces, but overall, I'd say that machine still has a lot of life left in it.

Mike Browning
07-04-2012, 2:02 PM
I'd salvage that in a minute. Doesn't look like anything that can't be fixed easily to me. My guess is once you started cleaning it up, you're be surprised how many parts just looked bad, but are actually fine. New belts, cables, hoses, mirrors, etc and you'd be back in business. Maybe a couple electronic pieces, but overall, I'd say that machine still has a lot of life left in it.

How would u suggest figuring out whats required and how easy is it to get the parts from epilogue US?
Europe seems kinda complicated.
What would you estimate cost?
help is much appreciated.
mike

Mike Browning
07-05-2012, 9:56 AM
trying to get through to Epilog USA to find out how much a lid/controller would be for this machine, no reply, is all still closed in the USA for July 4th?

Michael Hunter
07-05-2012, 10:14 AM
My experience with emailing Epilog in the USA is that they just bounce the emails to the local distributor.

I suppose it makes sense in that having set up the distributor network they might as well make use of it, but it can be frustrating if you want to get hold of info quickly.

The local prices are likely to be higher (much higher?) than the US prices, if only because of the transport costs, paperwork and taxes/duties.

Scott Shepherd
07-05-2012, 10:39 AM
How would u suggest figuring out whats required and how easy is it to get the parts from epilogue US?
Europe seems kinda complicated.
What would you estimate cost?
help is much appreciated.
mike

I'm no expert on laser repair, so I could be completely wrong, but I don't see anything wrong with any of the boards in the side of the machine. Let's just think about it logically. A fire like that isn't going to melt metal. It's going to damage anything that will burn. So your wires, belts, hoses, motors, mirrors, etc. are probably all that's damaged. Just from what little I can see from the photo, I'd obtain a service manual on the machine. I know it's out there, I've seen pieces of it. I'd take a ton of photos or even very detailed video of everything I could, from every angle I could.

I'd start taking off the stuff that was cooked. I'd take off the entire Beam Assembly (not hard to do, and I'd just slowly take it all apart and clean it up. I think what you'll find in the end is that the list of parts is fairly small. The biggest thing might be the wiring harness, I would think. But you may have dodged the bullet on that one. It might not have gotten to the main harness.

I'd get that list and get the quote for replacement parts.

Mark Ross
07-05-2012, 11:11 AM
We cut acrylic 8-10 hours a day every day 6 days a week to the point we have just ordered a second 36ext, this time a 75W, our first unit is a 45W. We replace the vector grids religously. I know there are people on there that claim you can clean vector grids, but we have tried every method without success. If you vector grid is gummy, it is a fire waiting to happen. We also blast our air assist really high and have an super high output exhaust. That all being said, guess who had a fire today? Yup, we did, but we have someone right there watching. With the second unit coming, we have decided to re-purpose an old computer, get a webcam and a big monitor and mount it up high so that we don't have to pay someone to just sit there and watch.

Short of running the lasers in an inert atmosphere devoid of oxygen, I am not sure how one would go about making a flameproof unit. If your acrylic is paper backed, you have to watch it even closer. We use 1/8 inch acrylic that is plastic wrapped for protection. We've had one almost serious fire and monthly flare ups. Sorry for your bad luck, this is the second EXT fire thread. I cringe when I see them. I would say that I don't see why they cant just replace the whole top (lid, cover, gantry, motors etc.)

Mike Browning
07-05-2012, 11:44 AM
wow thanks all.
going to continue dismantling and post pictures as i go on.
Local distributors would rather sell you a new machine and write off this one, just my overall feeling.
I would never have the stomach to throw out, even if i use it as a second machine i am determined to get this running again!
will keep posting status/photos......

many thanks once again.

john banks
07-05-2012, 11:46 AM
Mike, where in Europe are you based? How fast can the machine raster in mm/s as I don't know what units Epilog speed is based on?

matthew knott
07-05-2012, 12:24 PM
Must be the time of year, we had a mini fire yesterday, lucky someone was watching it, someone started it of without turning on the air assist (dumb arse!!) ours is an EXT36 75 Watt. I wonder if you could fit some type of automatic fire extingishing system, the type they fit to old car engines and race cars. Normally a pipe that has a low melt point that runs inside the system that links to a container of inert gas. Not sure it would save the machine but it might save your factory.

Mike Browning
07-05-2012, 12:24 PM
sorry John, wont sell yet, going to try and salvage 1st. thx anyway.

Mike Browning
07-06-2012, 12:41 PM
Spoke to Epilog and have dismantled top quarter, now to start cleaning up an see what's salvageable, debating if. I sent the lid for powder coat or just leave as is!
must say Epilog was extremely helpfully and sympathetic.
anyway must keep going...........

Larry Bratton
07-06-2012, 1:40 PM
Spoke to Epilog and have dismantled top quarter, now to start cleaning up an see what's salvageable, debating if. I sent the lid for powder coat or just leave as is!
must say Epilog was extremely helpfully and sympathetic.
anyway must keep going...........

Epilog Tech Support Rocks!

andrew zen
07-07-2012, 6:08 PM
I fixed a laser worse than this.
Everything rubber or plastic you have to assume is melted.

You will need new keypad, acrylic glass on top and probably belts, hoses, air assist shocks for the cover, Probably need new IKO bearing or two for the gantr OF course my experience is with a Legend 24EX.

You will know more about the laser than you wanted to know. Some of the electrical harnesses will be shorted, especially to the display assembly.
You can tone out the connections looking for shorts or just replace the harnesses. Some of them you can rebuild yourself with ribbon cable.

The keyboard/display will be expensive.

This laser is worth keeping.

Keep the cover charred to remind you to watch the laser as it runs in the future.

Have a CO2 fire extinguisher handy.

Epilog support was the best for me. They will make a lot of money off of you for parts but you get some of the money back in advice and correct part numbers.

good luck

Gary Hair
07-07-2012, 6:19 PM
Have a CO2 fire extinguisher handy

You would be better off with a Halon (or the new substitute for Halon).

I'm surprised that the manufacturers haven't come up with a Halon/new halon "fire suppression system" that you could deploy by hitting a button of some sort. It would be nothing to add piping and a trigger and the money saved would be pretty significant! But then again, if the mfg made it easy to save a machine then they would lose an opportunity to sell you a new one...

Gary

Craig Matheny
07-07-2012, 7:01 PM
You would be better off with a Halon (or the new substitute for Halon).

I'm surprised that the manufacturers haven't come up with a Halon/new halon "fire suppression system" that you could deploy by hitting a button of some sort. It would be nothing to add piping and a trigger and the money saved would be pretty significant! But then again, if the mfg made it easy to save a machine then they would lose an opportunity to sell you a new one...

Gary

Haltron is one of the new replacements for Halon it is not cheap but great insurance and no clean up or corrosion. Look on Ebay I paid 116.00 for a new Kiddie one 2.5 lbs mounts next to the unit good for 5 years with out inspection 12 before a test is needed. From what I have been told it is cheaper to toss the unit out then charge it.

Rich Harman
07-07-2012, 7:30 PM
What is better about Halon types than CO2 extinguishers?

Craig Matheny
07-07-2012, 7:44 PM
What is better about Halon types than CO2 extinguishers?

Haltron is designed for electrical / computer environments it is a gas that basically removes oxygen, there is no clean up. C02 will be too cold and can crack and damage things that are hot like your laser tube..

Mike Browning
07-16-2012, 5:13 AM
stared ordering parts, $1200 and counting......