PDA

View Full Version : Built up bowls

Jerry Marcantel
07-04-2012, 11:18 AM
A couple years ago I saw an ad on Craigslist that had wood "wood on the curb" not too far from my house. It's some type of oak native to Arizona. Probably Gamble Oak from the Catalina Mountains or Madera Canyon near Tucson. When I got there, I figured it would probably keep me warm instead of using it for turning. I tried one piece, and decided I'd rather turn it than stay warm... Here are the results;
236015This bowl is 6"od, about 3" tall without tenon, and 3/8" - 1/2" wall and bottom. While setting up to make the last pass, I bumped my elbow on the live center, and the reflex caused me to shove the gouge into the bowl and it tore out a large chunk. I'll glue it back in and finish it one of these days.
236016 This picture shows the pith area that I filled in with resin and wood and the blown out chunk on the left side.
236017 This is the other side showing the built up area. I added more resin to fill in some bubbles where the resin didn't run because of the cold tempurature.
236018 This bowl is the second bowl from this wood. When cutting the blank, I ended up removing several small burls and saved them, built a dam on one side only with aluminum tape where the pith used to be, then added pieces and burls to fill in the void on one side. I then poured the resin into the dam. After it set, I did the same to the other side.This was during the winter and I used System 2000 with slow hardener and blue colorant. After it cured, I turned it to see where my problems were, and added some more wood and resin in places. This bowl is 8 1/2" od, and 3 7/8" tall with 3/8 - 1/2" thick wall.
236019 Here is the other side showing the filled in area. One piece of wood is red oak that I threw in for grins, and it looks out of place. You can't miss it. Notice the scar near the bottom . That was caused while parting the tenon off. I was using a gouge and when I got to about 3/4" od nub, it just broke, dropped and spun a few turns while making contact with the banjo. That caused the outside scar.
236020 This is the scar from the spindle still turning while the bowl was sitting on the banjo. I used a screwless chuck plate wrapped in several layers of an old worn out sock to use as a buffer from wood on wood contact. It just about started a fire from the friction.... Comments welcomed................ Jerry (in Tucson)

Wally Dickerman
07-04-2012, 2:51 PM
Jerry....You've been having turning problems lately. Hit your elbow on the live center? You've shown us the scar on the bowl, how about the one on your elbow.

Woodturning is a learning experience.

I think that the Madera Canyon oaks are Live Oak.

Steve Vaughan
07-04-2012, 3:22 PM
If ever a piece of wood and bowl had a great story, this sure is it! Yup, I'd like the see the elbow too, might as well. Nice bowl with a fine story!

Jerry Marcantel
07-04-2012, 5:49 PM
There was no problem with the elbow. It's just a shock to bump it, and the normal reaction is to get away before you draw blood. Instead, I tore a chunck of wood out of the bowl.
Woodturning is a learning experience. And when I say I've learned it all, it's time to call it a day....... Jerry (in Tucson)